Annoying Controller Issue with WMC

moviefan

moviefan

I was just wondering if anyone else has this same issue with WMC - and what they do about it if so.

Occasionally after running normally for a while, certain buttons will stop working in my WMC remote.

Most often the back button stops working.  But other times it can be left, down, up, right, etc.

I have both a URC remote that is configured for HTPC IR settings to my Luxa2 LM100 mini;  as well as an old school Gyration remote that works over RF and just transmits signals like a mouse would.

Both types of controllers experience the issue when it happens so I don't think it is a problem with the signal reaching the OS.

A reboot fixes it every time but it is just annoying and wondering if anyone else has run into this - and if there is any fix?

I have rebuilt the system many times and it always comes back.  I am running Win7 x64 Pro.

porkbone

Sounds like your IR driver might be a little wonky.  You might try uninstalling the IR driver from the Device Manager (under Human Interface Devices), unplug your USB IR receiver and reboot.  Once fully rebooted, plug in the USB IR into a different USB port and let it reinstall.

Does the computer come out of sleep mode and do this?

Also - if your IR receiver is built in, just uninstall the drivers and reboot

just an idea...

Good luck moviefan!

AgileHumor

I have a RF MCE remote and also notice that the buttons stop working for a few seconds. 

Have 3 remotes, and it tends to happen with all of them (more often in MB)

Make sure something else on the machine hasn't stolen focus.

When the issue occurs, use a mouse to actually click on the WMC screen and then try the buttons again.

moviefan

Thanks for your response.

Yah I thought it might be the IR driver too at first but since the RF remote experiences the same issue I didn't understand how ti could just be related to the IR..

It is a built in IR receiver into the case, and, as I mentioned - I have rebuilt this computers OS multiple times and have redone the drivers many times also.

Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this mostly since I am at a loss on what else to look at and have just started to think that it is an issue with WMC in general.  Also to note - I experience this issue both in MediaBrowser and in MCShoutcast and just in general in WMC so I don't think it is related to any specific app within WMC either.  Just seems to be related to WMC itself.  If I close WMC and restart it this usually fixes the issue as well.

moviefan

Make sure something else on the machine hasn't stolen focus.

When the issue occurs, use a mouse to actually click on the WMC screen and then try the buttons again.

It isn't a focus issue because certain keys will keep working.

Sometime the back button stops working but up,down,left right work fine.  Other times it is the reverse and the back button works fine but I can't move around.

It isn't a focus issue because certain keys will keep working.

Sometime the back button stops working but up,down,left right work fine.  Other times it is the reverse and the back button works fine but I can't move around.

That doesn't necessarily rule out a focus issue.  WMC will still process some commands even when it isn't the foreground app.

saajan4u

I has so much issues with HTpc case ir receivers at one point I was going to ditch the whole home media setup. Untill I got an usb external receiver.. never looked back since then

used tapatalk on me Samsung S4

• 4 months later...
moviefan

I has so much issues with HTpc case ir receivers at one point I was going to ditch the whole home media setup. Untill I got an usb external receiver.. never looked back since then

used tapatalk on me Samsung S4

@@saajan4u Which USB external receiver did you use?

This problem is still driving me crazy.  I actually tried the Ortek USB IR remote which had good ratings on Amazon but it doesn't handle multiple clicks well, and it doesn't use discrete play/pause buttons.  Both just send the pause signal.

If anyone else has suggestions for an external that works well for them I would like to know.

Thanks,

saajan4u

351162233937 try this item number on eBay.. This is the exact one I have. Its cheap and it works.. If it doest for you haven't lost much

• 2 weeks later...
moviefan

I bought the HP IR receiver you recommended on Amazon and so far it's actually working a lot better thanks so much!

Quick question, does the skip ahead/forward feature work for you with this receiver?  I can only get it to accept the first press and then it seems to ignore all the other ones.

• 5 months later...