Hardware Transcoding stopped working

rafaeldelrey

rafaeldelrey

Hi,

I am long time user of Plex.  After struggling with transcoding 4K content, even with 3 GPU in my server, I decided to try Emby a month ago.  All was working nice.  Hardware transcoding was smooth.  After staying away for sometime, I returned today and tried to watch a 4K movie.  There was no hardware transcoding.  I realized you need a Premium subscription, which I did.  Now, the videos dont work at all.  They play for a few seconds, and them stop.  Another movie plays just the audio.  And other plays, with a lot of stuttering for some minutes, then stop.  In all cases, dashboard shows the movies being hardware transcoded with nvidia.

I have updated to the last 4.0.2 server, update my server, rebooted, but no luck.

My server is a Ubuntu 18.04, Core i7 7700, 16Gb RAM, 3 NVIDIA GTX 1080.  Emby server is installed directely with dpkg.  No docker.

Any help, or is Emby hardware acceleration still no good for use?

Thank you,

Rafael

rafaeldelrey

Tested on chrome, edge, apple tv 4K.  All ends with the streaming stopped, or in a green screen and the audio ok (apple tv). 

rafaeldelrey

Here follows the embyserver and ffmpg log files.  This run, it stopped showing video after a certain time, but the audio continued.  The media file is on a shared nfs server from a Synology server, conected by ethernet in the same lan as the emby server.  I was using Google Chrome to watch the movie.

Thank you

ffmpeg.txt

emby-server.txt

rafaeldelrey

Copied file from nfs to a local folder, created a new library pointing to it.  Same issue.  It shows even more stuttering.

rafaeldelrey

The weird thing is that this particular video plays smoothly on Plex, with low cpu usage.  I know it is not using the nvidia gpu (plex doesnt support it on Linux).  It is using the internal gpu from the i7700.  Emby, by the other hand, has a 100% cpu for the core runing ffmpeg, and about 9-14% use of the nvidia.  There might be something weird on Linux support for Nvidia.

Hi, this is doing a 4K to 4K transcode, and is also burning in subtitles. This is going to be a challenge even for a high end machine. Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting so that it transcodes to 1080p? Alternatively you can try turning off the subtitles. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

rafaeldelrey

Thank you for the answer.  I had already tried no subtitles and all kind of audios.  Just in case, I tried again.  No subtitles.  No subtitles + convert to 1080p 10mbps.  Same error.  I have removed 2 of the 3 gpu in case something weird was happening.  Repeated the tests. Same results.  I am only testing with local (as the server) files from a SSD, just to remove any network variable.

Hi, this is doing a 4K to 4K transcode, and is also burning in subtitles. This is going to be a challenge even for a high end machine. Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting so that it transcodes to 1080p? Alternatively you can try turning off the subtitles. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

rafaeldelrey

Installed Emby Server in this Windows 10 Notebook with a GTX 1050.  Tried the same video (Ralph Breaks the Internet) and got the same problem.  It looks Emby cant handle this file with Nvidia transcoding.  Emby and Plex, with hardware transcoding from the Intel processor (HD 620) can, although with stuttering.  Same problems in both Windows and Linux.  Network bandwith is not a issue in this case, since all the tests were made locally (in the windows test, the server, player and movie file were in the same machine).

Thank you for the answer.  I had already tried no subtitles and all kind of audios.  Just in case, I tried again.  No subtitles.  No subtitles + convert to 1080p 10mbps.  Same error.  I have removed 2 of the 3 gpu in case something weird was happening.  Repeated the tests. Same results.  I am only testing with local (as the server) files from a SSD, just to remove any network variable.

Can we please look at an example of this? Thanks !

rafaeldelrey

Can we please look at an example of this? Thanks !

I have attached logs in a previous post.

Right but then I asked you to turn off subtitles and lower the in-app quality setting to 1080p. Can we look at an example of that? Thanks !

rafaeldelrey

Here are the logs:

- Subtitles off;

- Converting to 1080p 10mbps;

- Hardware transcoding active, set to use nvidia;

Image stops updating at the same place as before (4K), just the sound continues playing.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg.txt