Question about my Unraid software

HavokValor
Go to solution Solved by HavokValor,

HavokValor

Hi I am playing the movie Justice League locally at my house to a Fire TV stick. Around the 21 minutes into the movie it will begin to buffer (during the battle again Steppen and the Amazon's). I am able to replicate this same issue on the LG web OS app, Xbox one and on my iPhone. The stats for the file are

1080p

MP4

h264

2.7mb total

AAC LC 5.1

The video plays fine outside of Emby and from a Emby Theater app, also the movie plays fine on all the devices before the 21 minute mark. Any ideas on why this could happen. This really is worrying me because I started to convert my collection to H264, MP4 and AAC so that it can have the most compatibility and this file meets those stats and doesn't seem to work well.

Not sure.  Plays fine through that scene on my Mi and Fire...

You can reproduce this at will in the same spot?

• Like 1

HavokValor

I decided to play the movie from the beginning and it started to buffer right from the beginning now. When I first started to play it, it didn't buffer for the first 20 minutes.

HavokValor

Are you sure it isn't on a bad part of a disc or something?

That's what I was thinking but then I tried playing the same file directly on VLC and from Emby Theater on my computer and both played with no issues.

HavokValor

So it was playing actually well from like 4 minutes to 22 but again it is buffering at the fighting scene with Steppen and the amazons. This is on the LG web app.

That's what I was thinking but then I tried playing the same file directly on VLC and from Emby Theater on my computer and both played with no issues.

Some players handle problems differently, and vlc and the player used in emby theater will be much more resilient than others.

• Like 1

HavokValor

Does it happen if you seek directly to that spot?

Yes it happens if I seek directly to the spot, even though it takes forever lol. So I am on the LG app again and this time I am watching Spiderman into the spiderverse. This is buffering from the get go with the following stats;

MKV'

1080p

AC3

If the app couldn't handle it, it should be transcoding right?

Update: I tried playing it also on my Fire TV and it is doing the same thing.

Update 2: Started to play Venom stats;

MP4

1080P

AAC

This started to buffer on direct play at 19 minutes in.

Edited by HavokValor

If the app couldn't handle it, it should be transcoding right?

it's not that simple. All available media info tells us the file should direct play, so we do. If the player reports an error with the file then we can detect that and automatically switch to transcoding during playback, but sometimes this doesn't happen. Sometimes instead of reporting an error it will just perform poorly, and this situation is hard for us to detect.

• Like 1

HavokValor

it's not that simple. All available media info tells us the file should direct play, so we do. If the player reports an error with the file then we can detect that and automatically switch to transcoding during playback, but sometimes this doesn't happen. Sometimes instead of reporting an error it will just perform poorly, and this situation is hard for us to detect.

Gotcha, so what should I encode my Video files to, currently I have been encoding them to;

MP4

AAC avcodec

I am all for encoding my library to something that can work on all devices.

HavokValor

That really should be fine. Why not try using our media convert feature?

Didn’t know there was a media concert feature

• Solution
HavokValor

After further investigation, I found that it was QBittorrent that is running on my Unraid server that is causing the buffering. So... gotta look into why this is happening lol, thanks for all the help peeps.

• Like 1