ffmpeg and cpu utilization

LeftForPlex

LeftForPlex

Can someone chime in on what the expected CPU utilization would be when using ffmpeg transcoding for DLNA?

I'm running a Virtual Machine on top of Xen.  The physical host has an i7-4770S, and 32GB of ram.  The Virtual machine has 4 core's assigned and 8GB of ram.  Right now I am seeing CPU utilization of 60-90% when using ffmpeg to decode a BluRay movie, After Earth.

I get the feeling that the utilization is high, and that it may be related to the fact that this is being run inside of a VM.

Thanks,

Marcus

It really can vary depending on both the environment and also the characteristics of the input. if you post media info from the web client about that title it might reveal some clues.

LeftForPlex

It really can vary depending on both the environment and also the characteristics of the input. if you post media info from the web client about that title it might reveal some clues.

Here we go.  I may go ahead and throw a linux build on another machine I have that has a i7-3770 which has similiar specs to see how much cpu is used by transcoding there.

Thanks!

Video
CodecAVC

Resolution1920x1080

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate32851 kbps

Audio
Languageeng

CodecDTS-HD MA

Channels6 ch

Sample Rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Channels6 ch

Bitrate640 kbps

Sample Rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Audio
Languagefra

CodecDTS-HD MA

Channels6 ch

Sample Rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Audio
Languagespa

CodecAC3

Channels6 ch

Bitrate640 kbps

Sample Rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Subtitle
Languageeng

CodecPGS

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Subtitle
Languageeng

CodecPGS

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Subtitle
Languagefra

CodecPGS

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Subtitle
Languagespa

CodecPGS

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Subtitle
Languagefra

CodecPGS

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Path\\tower\BluRay\After Earth

And you'd also have to look at the dlna profile for the device. if we don't include one then it's using the default, which means almost everything is going to transcode. So you can also look into building a custom profile based on the device capabilities to direct play certain formats when possible.

LeftForPlex

And you'd also have to look at the dlna profile for the device. if we don't include one then it's using the default, which means almost everything is going to transcode. So you can also look into building a custom profile based on the device capabilities to direct play certain formats when possible.

Ahhh ok that makes sense.  So newer devices are more powerful so they may not require transcoding of the content.  Got it.  If the content is say BluRay using h.264, will it still transcode if the DLNA device supports h.264 but not in a BluRay structure?  I guess what I mean is would I be better off converting everything over to mpg?

it's still going to have to transcode a bluray folder rip but there are ways to do that efficiently. it all comes down to the profile. but yes nowadays mp4 is the recommended format for sure.