Cast & Crew Metadata not loading for individual episodes

antonispgs

antonispgs

Kind of a weird one guys, so I am able to see metadata for the main cast & crew of movies and tv shows in my library.

However, when i go in an individual episode of a tv show (any tv show) the only cast & crew i see are of people that already are part of the main cast of a tv show or movie that is in my library. Am i missing some setting or maybe is this by design?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

post-428714-0-51312300-1551185937_thumb.png

rbjtech

Have you tried to force a 'Refresh People' in Scheduled Tasks and then do a Scan ?

If that fixes it - then check the schedule is actually reasonable vs the updates you do - every 24 hours etc.

Also to note - only 'Guest Stars' are listed in addition to the main cast (check in the Metadata editor) - Directors etc are not

In the web client on the latest Beta - this all appears to work correctly for me anyway but that MAY be because it has been running for years and I've collected all the images over time - Emby can't just spam the providers to get all the images if this is a new install ..  ;)

Edited by rbjtech

antonispgs

That didn't work and i believe i tried that before. The only way to get proper metadata on there is if i individually refresh metadata for these faceless actor entries. (or as i said above, if these people are already part of the main cast of something)

Edited by antonispgs

rbjtech

Looking into this further - then I actually agree with you.  Older shows which I looked at for my initial response seem to have all the 'Guest Stars' but newer ones do not - I wonder if Emby is only grabbing the main cast ? 

It used to also grab the images on demand - ie showed you faceless actors but if you refreshed the page, then they would appear and be put in the cache.

antonispgs

Hi Luke,

This is what it looks like in TVDB, there are no pictures within the episode itself but one step back, there are pictures for the main cast.

So, i am not sure if that's the reason it is happening but if that's intended, then is there a way to not show picture thumbnails at all where no picture is loaded?

post-428714-0-41377200-1551213055_thumb.png

Happy2Play

Do you have the setting "Download images in advance" set per library?

No there is no option to hide people placeholders that have no images.

Edited by Happy2Play

antonispgs

Just tried it (i didn't have it enabled) and run a library scan with full metadata refresh but the guest stars pictures still don't appear even though the regular cast one level up appears fine, so no real change in behaviour detected.

It's not a big deal to be honest, i just don't want to have big faceless thumbnails if no picture is getting downloaded.

Edited by antonispgs

rpoitras

I've seen this as well, and as said above the only way to get the information is to "Refresh metadata" on each individual cast member. Refreshing at a higher level (episode or show) doesn't propagate down to the episode level (for new/additional cast members).

antonispgs

Yea, it will pick up a couple of people too for me in some episodes but always most are faceless. I have noticed by clicking on those that appear that are only appearing because they are part of the main cast of another show or movie, so it seems it isn't refreshing metadata on the episode guest start level, only if manually requested for each guest star.

I have refreshed metadata for series, individual episodes, whole libraries even numerous times.

rbjtech

Yea, it will pick up a couple of people too for me in some episodes but always most are faceless. I have noticed by clicking on those that appear that are only appearing because they are part of the main cast of another show or movie, so it seems it isn't refreshing metadata on the episode guest start level, only if manually requested for each guest star.

I have refreshed metadata for series, individual episodes, whole libraries even numerous times.

I agree with this behaviour - if the 'Guest Stars' appear anywhere in other films or TV series as main actors, then they are displayed at 'Episode' level as well.  A manual refresh per Actor (at Episode level) will correctly get and save the details and be available for all future uses - so it appears the problem is Emby is just not automatically scraping the Guest Stars at this level from either the scheduled methods, or even 'Series' metadata refresh.

The unscraped Actors do look ugly on an otherwise well designed screen (worse on most clients as they are multi-coloured bright rectangles..) - so my preference would actually be to have a dark ' silhouette' with just their name - rather than a 'obvious' missing item.

As an example ...

5c77cbc7477db_silhouette.png

Example of how ugly the unscraped 'Guest Stars' are from the Web Client ..

5c77ccef6f8e7_GuestStar.png

Edited by rbjtech

antonispgs

Anything on whether a fix is being prepared? Or a way to not have thumbnails appear at all (it could just be the names on the episode guest star level)

I'm not yet convinced that we have an issue. It seems to work fine here and i have guest stars that only appear in a single episode and that's it.

@@Happy2Play can you reproduce this?

Keep in mind my testing was at server default metadata settings - default fetchers on and in default order.

Happy2Play

I'm not yet convinced that we have an issue. It seems to work fine here and i have guest stars that only appear in a single episode and that's it.

@@Happy2Play can you reproduce this?

Keep in mind my testing was at server default metadata settings - default fetchers on and in default order.

Navigating episodes everything appears fine a they are grabbed on the fly.

example

2019-03-02 19:20:18.676 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/xbp0HABLoF0onvNg8OsiLxO8yVx.jpg
2019-03-02 19:20:18.751 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/actors/411482.jpg
2019-03-02 19:20:18.753 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/fgZbOTTcMZzsYFYYgv9XlT2SLQq.jpg
2019-03-02 19:20:18.754 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/bETrIuwlbd37J2Ljye4n5yjPjTj.jpg
2019-03-02 19:20:18.756 Info HttpClient: GET https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/rfYj0KUt5uX2pYqtQYTMeH7WbH9.jpg

But I have on occasion had a placeholder with no image or metadata provided and after refreshing the actor it appears.  But it is hard to track down cause.

Sorry i think i misunderstood this issue.

Yes it is sometimes expected behavior due to the way the tvdb api works. The episode metadata from tvdb lists actor names only, no image urls. The series data gives both. That means if the actor is also not listed as part of the series, then we will not have an image url.

antonispgs

Great, thanks for clarifying, in that case, possibly an option to hide image placeholders (or remove images all together like tvdb does) on the episode guest star level would be optimal.