Set DVD vs. Aired Sort order for TV Shows

dimitrik

dimitrik

It is my understanding that all TV shows are sorted according to their episode number as defined by its airdate.

So Episode 5 is defined as the 5th episode to air, based on the various metadata fetchers.

However a number of series have different airdate orders and DVD orders, because the TV channels sometimes aired episodes in the wrong order. When the DVD came out, the correct order was used to make the story make sense. 

A good example is Farscape where in Season 1, the 2nd episode was broadcast as 7th (so it has DVD order #2 and airdate order #7).  

"Batman The Animated Series" is another example (actually cartoons have major problems with this).

This data is included in the metadata fetchers e.g. TVDB, TVRage and can be downloaded when building the .nfo files.

But the default sorting only uses aired order, so you always see the episodes wrong.
It would be great if there was a way to change the sort order on a "per-series" level, e.g. from the server.
One could then either adjust the series that have problems or even use the DVD order as default (when it exists).

Does this seem possible?

Thanks!

Koleckai Silvestri

You can do this by editing the episodes in the Metadata Editor. You can set Aired, DVD and Absolute Episode numbers. Using the Absolute episode numbers you can change the sort. 

There is an issue on Github to allow you to sort via Aired or DVD per series though. 

dimitrik

Yes, I'm aware I can do it manually, but that requires going through them individually, finding the correct order and entering the data on the metadata editor. For a show like farscape which has 1 episode in the wrong order, this is OK (n fact I edited the .nfo & .xml files years ago).

For a show like "Batman the Animated Series" which has about 50 episodes which aired in the wrong order (sometimes even the wrong season!), it's a non-starter. That's why I said cartoon series have major problems.

dimitrik

You can do this by editing the episodes in the Metadata Editor. You can set Aired, DVD and Absolute Episode numbers. Using the Absolute episode numbers you can change the sort. 

There is an issue on Github to allow you to sort via Aired or DVD per series though. 

Sorry, what did you mean about the "issue on Github"?  

I consider this a small but quite useful feature so I'd like to support it...

gcw07

Sorry, what did you mean about the "issue on Github"?  

I consider this a small but quite useful feature so I'd like to support it...

He just meant it is down as a feature that is eventually planned. Which is good because I'm interested too and I'm sure a lot are. There just is no date for it being added right now.

• 3 months later...
TolkienBard

Just where in the Metadata editor is this option located? I have too many shows with aired order vs DVD order issues that I am losing hours of time trying to track them all down, and I'm sure I am missing some because I am only going after ones I actually know of off the top of my head; show like Star Trek, Family Guy, Futurama, Conan the Adventurer, Firefly, Farscape, all present this problem.

• 4 weeks later...
TolkienBard

Just where in the Metadata editor is this option located? I have too many shows with aired order vs DVD order issues that I am losing hours of time trying to track them all down, and I'm sure I am missing some because I am only going after ones I actually know of off the top of my head; show like Star Trek, Family Guy, Futurama, Conan the Adventurer, Firefly, Farscape, all present this problem.

Never mind, I figured it out. Each episode still must be handled individually. I'll be so glad to see absolute order sorting as a selectable option for various series. These 1980s animated series are driving me nuts trying to properly number them.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just had this issue with Archer Season 3 which was a real pain to fix. I saw the github issue, which is over a year old! Any thing I can do to move it along?

• 3 months later...
soniCron

What's the status for this?

Also, what's the recommended protocol for dealing with this in the meantime? Should I manually rename my DVD order to fit the air dates? Right now, all my files are numbered in the order they came off the discs, but since I lazily used Emby's auto-organize, a bunch have the wrong titles (and of course the wrong meta-data downloaded). Do I need to re-name everything as per the air date? Or is there a way to "Identify" using the DVD order, yet?

Thanks! :)

Recommended actions in the meantime are editing the metadata to your liking then using the lock feature to prevent it from changing.

• 10 months later...
ErelyesNZ

Any progress with this?

I just imported Firefly into my library. The files were named according to DVD order, but the scraper has used Aired order, so they are all out of whack.

I've had to wipe from the library, rename all the files so they are in aired order, then re-import... a bit of a pain.

Seems a solution to me would be to keep the current default, but have a drop-down option in the 'Identify' menu to 'use DVD order' or 'use absolute order', ala tvdb. So if a series imports funky, it can be re-scraped using a couple clicks.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
access

This I agree would be a really good feature and something I haven't seen on any other platform.

How cool would it be to watch shows in EITHER Air Order or DVD order. The user gets to pick.

Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, access said:

This I agree would be a really good feature and something I haven't seen on any other platform.

How cool would it be to watch shows in EITHER Air Order or DVD order. The user gets to pick.

I would assume the database would have to be expanded to have these orders as physical media order/naming will not accommodate this as you have have Display order Aired/DVD/Absolute assuming TVDB v3 api is returning the selected order your media is actually in.  

Personally, I don't think to many people care about DVD order these days.

pwhodges

More to the point, using either order requires all the files to be named appropriately for recognition.  To switch would require Emby to reconcile the two orders (how?? - sometimes there's not even a one-to-one match!) and rename all the files as requested followed by a full rescan.  But Emby, by design, never changes your media files, so that's a no-no.

Paul

• 1 year later...
Baenwort

I think people who watch classic cartoons care about DVD and/or absolute order as many pre-2010 cartoon's and were aired out of order. This is even an issue on some TV shows like Firefly.

Any hope of supporting the API from some of the providers that make this automated?

6 minutes ago, Baenwort said:

I think people who watch classic cartoons care about DVD and/or absolute order as many pre-2010 cartoon's and were aired out of order. This is even an issue on some TV shows like Firefly.

Any hope of supporting the API from some of the providers that make this automated?

We already support dvd order. What exactly are you asking?

Baenwort
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

We already support dvd order. What exactly are you asking?

Perhaps I'm missing where to set it. The discussion on this thread is about being able to set per show which episode order to pull from the metadata provider API and display in Emby?

Baenwort
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

You set it in the Metadata for the series:

image.jpeg.de315c9e4903142f4f423114facb5c18.jpeg

Paul

Does this change what format the filename is expected in or does it convert from the file name (in say SeasonEpisode [S01E01E02] naming per the wiki) to a display order as selected (say DVD per your example or even better to absolute (E04E05 with no season)?

A example used above Firefly: File name 'Firefly (2002) - S01E01 - Train Job.mkv' is in airdate order per the wiki on how to name TV episodes but the metadata filter is set to absolute. Would it display Firefly - E02 - The Train Job in Emby or would the file name need to be changed to the absolute 'Firefly (2002) - E01 - Train Job.mkv' to correctly display in Emby?

Edited by Baenwort

Current guidelines are that the configured display order should match how you've named the files. It's not built to be something where you can just change the order based on preference.