Emby transcoding lossless streams

mrhollywood360

mrhollywood360

I have a FireTV with the Emby app as well as Kodi. When using the Emby app, files that have lossless audio streams such as Dolby HD or DTS-MA get converted to Dolby AC3. The FireTV supports multi-channel lossless streams, and it works with Kodi just fine. It's annoying that Emby transcodes to lossy, putting unnecessary strain on the server and losing quality. Is there a fix for this on the app or server? 

mrhollywood360

Hi.  The Fire TV does not support those audio codecs.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html?v=ftvgen2

Does that mean Embycon is also converting it? My receiver displays "PCM 5.1" when playing on Kodi, but "Dolby Audio" when playing on the Emby app.

*edit* I tried it again so I could grab logs, however now when I play with the Emby app it isn't converting, but my receiver displays "PCM 2.0". Embycon still works just fine. I recently updated the server, perhaps something in the update is causing this?

Edited by mrhollywood360

Kodi is software-decoding the audio instead of using your receiver's capabilities.  I'm not sure if it is actually maintaining the real audio or not but the Fire devices do not support these audio codecs natively.  They don't even support normal DTS.