Incorrectly matched episode

crusher11

crusher11

In my specials folder for Dexter I have a DVD extra "The Writers Discuss Season 7.mkv". For some reason this is matching as "Early Cuts: Gene Marshall (Chapter 3)". I can't figure out how to un-match it. I've tried refreshing metadata but it stays the same.

Hi, if it's not following our supported tv naming conventions then you can assume the results will be unexpected.

Unless you can rename the file to a supported name, you'll want to just manually edit the metadata as desired, and then lock it.

crusher11

It isn't a thing that exists, so it shouldn't match anything, which would be the expected result when not naming things via the convention. There really should be an "identify" option on an episode level, which includes an option of not matching to anything. It's being overactive and matching the 7, as that's the 7th special. It really shouldn't try that hard to match, that's going to lead to so many erroneous matches for DVD features that don't have a special listed in any database.

The problem is that it's close enough to expected naming schemes that it's hard to determine if it should be matched or not. So in this case, that's why the rules exist, so that if you do one thing you get result A, if you do another you get expected result B, etc.

crusher11

How is it 'close enough'? It has a number in it, that's literally the only thing that's causing it to match. Some things aren't supposed to match anything so following the naming conventions won't help here.

Edited by crusher11

Understood but that's how some name their files. There is no generalized way for us to know that we should be ignoring this. This is something that you will just have to fix up manually.

Deathsquirrel

For disc extras that don't exist in the source metadata services, use the same naming convention as you would otherwise for extras but assign a unique episode number.  Using your example, I'd name it 'Dexter S00E701 The Writers Discuss Season 7.mkv'.  Other season 7 specials that don't exist on thetvdb.com I'd mark as episode 7xx as well, to keep them separate from similar items in season 6 which I'd number 6xx, etc.

• Like 1

crusher11

If there's no match, Emby retains the 'showname sxxeyy' prefix, which looks terrible, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Deathsquirrel

If there's no match, Emby retains the 'showname sxxeyy' prefix, which looks terrible, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Correct, then you edit the metadata to remove that string and lock the metadata as Luke says.