Question about remote streaming

boggle247

boggle247

I've only streamed on my local home network. If I enable remote streaming, and open the necessary port, what kind of security do I need to setup? How can I setup another user, and grant them permission to stream remotely?

Hi there, I would suggest creating a user and making sure they have a password. To learn how to do this, please check out our Users wiki.

Please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks !

boggle247

What security measures should I take though? Is there a fail2ban I can enable? Any other firewalls I need to setup for that port?

mastrmind11

What security measures should I take though? Is there a fail2ban I can enable? Any other firewalls I need to setup for that port?

You can make it as secure as you want.  Other than a password and SSL support in Emby, everything else is your responsibility.  I recommend setting up HTTPS at the very least (and disabling HTTP access at the router level), but there are also a few posts on here about how to set up a reverse proxy as well as fail2ban.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 places i use emby.

It is very smooth at the local place :)

At the second place i have opened port for emby and it works smooth on that one device, but not on the other one. (exept if i change port setting to another device)

How can i get this to work at a remote place if i have to open a port and want to run 2 devices??

Thanks for ideas :)

With smooth i mean that i can play a movie/series without wait for loading, i can fast forward without risk of have to close down the app and try again or wait for a long time.

Its just that everything works good as it does on my local network.

Yes that is possible, but i dont think you would see any anomalities caused by me opening or closing a port in my router!?

As i said the everything works fine when the port is open and when it is not open the movie could stop if i try to fast forward and it takes alot longer time to load something to play.

Just wondering if someone elsa have a simular problem and if, how do they deal with it.

The best thing i could do to show you the problem would mabye to make a video of how it operates with port open and closed??

Btw running latest version of emby server on a debian OMV.