Limiting Everything

kodithomson50

kodithomson50

So, any time a library refresh happens, or a re-scan, etc, my internet bandwidth gets completely saturated to the point of inoperability, even when no background tasks are running (like torrents, etc).  This is especially an issue for the voip phones around here.

For now, I would like to know, if there is a good "wait XXXX" command within the source code somewhere which I could extend to say 10 seconds, between each online querry?

There seems to be a popular subject around these forums, people want to be VERY specific about where their CPU, Bandwidth, and other resources go.  I suggest (and this may be ridiculous), creating a separate settings page dedicated to listing every single limit that can be made within the software, as a start, and then it can be expanded upon later on.  Most of the ones I am reading are for throttling the transcoding, setting RAM limits, etc, all are valid concerns or points, to become a further driving force behind getting a settings page like this up into the official releases.

I am obviously not the center of the universe nor would I wish to come across in such a ridiculous manner, but ideally here are some things I would like to see, or possibly contribute to in the future, and hopefully many others can share their ideas or opinions and thoughts on the subject:

I believe that each download (of metadata, a picture for example) Emby makes it knows when it has completed, I would like to place the wait time here, after the download completes, wait 10 seconds before starting (or even querying) the next.  This is different than waiting ten seconds between requests, this is making a request, waiting for said request to finish, then waiting the ten, and Finally onto making the next move.

Take that debug log, and look through, each time a request is made to the internet, I'd like a pause or a wait function used there each time.  As far as connection concurrency, I'd like to limit it to one concurrent connection.  This is different from when sharing content, this is specifically when updating the library, when sifting through the indexers, when scraping the meta-sites, when downloading covers, etc.  The time gap is especially important to incorporate such that other members of this LAN have access to sufficiently more important functions.  Alternatively, if 10 seconds is outrageous, a way to regulate the incoming stream of data from a download request, attempting to ask the remote server to provide the stream slower, or up to a certain speed.  

For failed queries or requests, do NOT start a new query right away, instead add a wait time, such that in case all of the bandwidth is being used up by the phone (which has QOS priority), all of those requests don't become buffered, sent out all at once, only to flood the incomming bottleneck with all of those downloads all at once, at that point the Voip codecs make people sound like stereotypically hypothetical robots, and worse.  Basically avoiding accidentally DDOSing myself would be wonderful, as its been a recurring problem lately.  (I just added 120 shows I had a long time ago before server failures, and now its playing catchup).

READ-ONLY LIBRARY OPTION (on a per-library/folder basis)

And lastly, any chance of getting a nice and shiny (and functional) button on the "Add Library" or "Library Settings" to mark that particular library as READ-ONLY??  With the amount of trouble (likely my own fault fret not) I've dealt with between all my different tagging, indexing, and organizing library management applications, I would rather not take a chance on giving Emby access to my precious Lossless audio library, its literally perfect.  I wish for no NFOs, no XMLs, no Artwork, no Metadata, no Tags, Nothing to be written, not by Emby nor its plugins.  Perhaps a seperate folder could be made elsewhere that Emby could store any of its different AlbumArt it thinks would be useful for my music library, and store all of its XML info and whatever else in, so it can readily display things when needed, but no changes to my library are made.  No transcribing, no trans-coding, no updated play count, and no resultant 'last modified' or "last accessed" date change.

METADATA TAGGING, vs XML, vs NFO, vs TXT or HTML.

Is there a way to make sure the actual tv show file is tagged, and not just surrounded by metadata in seperate files?  

I'm pretty care-free when writing scripts and processes on my own, and frequently manage to wipe out entire libraries of content on a near-weekly basis, and I know I'll always be like this, but I'd rather it not dramatically affect everyone else's internet usage when I goof up on such a colossal scale.

Thank you for any thoughts in advance!!!

Hi, you can already do read-only simply by not allowing emby to save metadata into your local media folders.

So, any time a library refresh happens, or a re-scan, etc, my internet bandwidth gets completely saturated to the point of inoperability, even when no background tasks are running (like torrents, etc).  This is especially an issue for the voip phones around here.

This sounds like more of a bandwidth issue then anything else to me.

What is you Internet speed both up and down?

Have you thought about purchasing a different home router or checking to see if your current router support QOS?  With QOS in your router you can solve this issue pretty easily by setting up rules to always favor VOIP.

kodithomson50

Luke, thanks, I just wanted to be absolutely sure before setting anythnig going in the music area.  When I installed Emby initially I tried to give it its own user account, but was mostly just poking around and not getting anywhere fast, so didn't likely succeed, but it would have been beneficial in this case, I could restrict all but read access to said Emby user at a filesystem level (Ubuntu 18.10).  Will take a looksee though and get back on this.

I know this post is under the "General / Windows" category, but that is because the main throttling concept is more of a general proposition, rather than os-dependent.  

16Mb/s D

2Mb/s U

~2MB/s D

~0.5MB/s U

Latency usually not too bad, 24-31ms pings to Google, etc.

QOS is enabled, the voip box is directly connected to the primary home router (with direct connect in turn to cable modem), with priority  set for voip, and priority set for the physical jack on the router that the voip is connected to, the other members of the house connect into a second router which is set to use the first as its gateway, (so it is firewalled against my network, and vice-versa), and similarly I connect to a seperate (third) router (nested under the primary router).  My emby installation is then connected to this.  This third router is given NO priority in the QOS of the primary router, it is set to "bulk"/slow, and all torrenting services are set to "bulk".  Additionally, all file transfer protocols on my (third) router are set to "bulk".  
**{not my exact configuration, but conceptually similar, omitting details for security)**

Yea, you likely have a bandwidth issue that is the main culprit here.  No way to get better speeds?