Downloading subtitles

crusher11

crusher11

I've enabled the OpenSubtitles option for my library but it doesn't seem to do anything for already-existing media. I've scanned the library several times. Do I have to manually find each episode/film that's missing the subtitles I selected and download them manually, or is there a way to do it automatically?

There's an option in scheduled tasks for downloading subtitles. I'd try that to start.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

@@cayars will be writing a wiki article on this, but rather than go through the same series of questions and answers that I've already gone through with other users, you can check out the notes I've prepared for him on writing the wiki article:

Users report they have no subtitles -> Inform them of download features -> They say they already turned it on, still no subs -> 

Show them how use the manual subtitle download features to check if the providers even have any.
If this succeeds, then maybe they're not auto-downloading due to the download settings being too strict, so show them how to check those. 
If it doesn't succeed, show them how to explore the plugin catalog to see what additional subtitle providers might be available
Also show them what metadata is required for successful lookups - open subtitles is based on imdb Id of the movie/series, along with season and episode numbers of the episode
  • Like 1

crusher11

The scheduled task took six minutes to run so it must have been doing something, but I can't fathom what.

I'm not sure which things have subs and which don't (I have it set not to download subs if subs are embedded), but I know House doesn't have any so that's what I'm looking at. I did a search on the pilot and found plenty of results. Unchecked "exact match" or whatever that option is and ran it again, still six minutes and still no subs options for House. No files in the House folder either, and subs are set to download next to media.

Edit: Weirdly I ran the search again from the episode's page and now it's finding no results. WTF?

Edited by crusher11

Yes you did.

use the manual subtitle download features to check if the providers even have any.

Did you try this in Emby or the open subtitles website?

If this succeeds, then maybe they're not auto-downloading due to the download settings being too strict, so show them how to check those. 

?

If it doesn't succeed, show them how to explore the plugin catalog to see what additional subtitle providers might be available

?

Also show them what metadata is required for successful lookups - open subtitles is based on imdb Id of the movie/series, along with season and episode numbers of the episode

?

crusher11

I searched emby, it found a lot of results. Did the scheduled task, it didn't add anything for House. Unchecked the 'perfect match' setting, ran the task, still nothing. Searched in emby again but this time no results.

Re-checked the 'perfect match' setting and I'm now getting a lot of results in the emby search again.

This makes no sense. Surely I should get the same or fewer results with perfect match on? Instead, I get no results with perfect match off, and a lot of results with it on. Either way nothing auto-downloads though.

The filter doesn't apply to manual search because manual is your choice.  You can download whatever you want manually so there's no need to restrict the results. The filter only applies to the automated download.

crusher11

Whether that box is checked or unchecked changes the results of the manual search. Whether it should or shouldn't, it does.

crusher11

Hmm, it seems to be working now, at least for most episodes. Some later season one eps are still missing subs but that's about it.

Is there a way to see which items are missing subtitles so I can take a look manually?

crusher11

Well I looked manually at the last season one episode of House, and there are still plenty of subs available. Not sure why they wouldn't have downloaded?

crusher11

I'm not sure what information you want.

The automatic scheduled task has downloaded subs for House season 1 episodes 1-6, and all of seasons 2-5.

If I use the subtitle editor to search for subs for season 1 episode 22, there are plenty of subtitles listed.

How about this:

If this succeeds, then maybe they're not auto-downloading due to the download settings being too strict, so show them how to check those. 

crusher11

I can't see anything but I imagine you know the settings better than me.

The available subs for episodes 7-22 seem much the same (in terms of filename formats etc) as for 1-6, which makes sense as anyone doing subs for the first six episodes would presumably do them for the entire season. So why it'd download all but those 16 episodes is strange.