Emby and AMD on Debian 9

cast0r

Hello all together

Iám very new to the transcoding thing, so sorry if i ask one or more silly questions.

Iám running emby on an HP ML350 G9 with 224GB Ram, 2x Xeon E5-2620 V4, 48 SSD´s Samsung PRO 860 256GB Raid 6, and 2 external HP D2600 for storage. Operating System Debian 9.7.

I wan´t to add an GPU for acceleration and maybe want to try an AMD most likely an FirePro w7100. Now Iám trying to compare the Quadro P4000 with that thing.

Anybody has some experience on AMD FirePro GPU´s? Is it an option to go with the FirePro?

Works the AMD stable? I found a lot of posts about issues with AMD GPU´s.

As I understand the Nvidia does´t not make any use of the Cuda Cores while transcoding, wich makes me think that a Quadro P2000 is the same like a P4000 as the most differrence between them are cuda performance.

Does the AMD better with using their recources? Or in other words wich gives more bang for bugs?

Greetings and thanks for any answers.

AMD has come late to this game and that's why they are behind Intel and Nvidia.

I wouldn't recommend buying AMD hardware, unless you already have it. Focus on Intel and Nvidia instead.

So has the p4000 any advantage over the p2000? Iám thinking about the amd cause of significant lesser price. Can u tell me how good or bad the firepro w7100 will perform in comparison to the quadro p4000 oder p2000 ?

We haven't tested all of these models personally but the Intel and Nvidia models will lessen r better. Thanks.