Blocking/pixelating in recordings.

lightsout

lightsout

I know without a log there's not much to go by. But I have some recordings that are a week or two old. Which is why I don't have logs.

Some of my recordings are blocking up and pixelating. I don't watch a lot of live TV but when I do I haven't noticed this issue. And cable and not OTA so less likely but I know it could be the feed.

Is there anything I can do in regards to Emby or my hardware setup to try to solve this issue?

Happy2Play

Just guessing without logs, but do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled?  Are new recordings experience the same issues?

Guest asrequested

Were the recordings on the same channel? If yes, take a look at the signal strength. Also, if you're using an HDHomrun device, check that the firmware is up to date.

Yea check the HDHR firmware if that's what you have, and also keep an eye on tuner signal strength during the time of the recording.

lightsout

Just guessing without logs, but do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled?  Are new recordings experience the same issues?

I do have quicksync enabled for everything. I upgraded to Premier when I went with DVR so I am not sure there were many recordings without it, there were a few initially because I didn't have quicksync installed properly. 

Do you think this could be causing an issue? Is HW Acc used to record? I guess maybe for decoding?

Were the recordings on the same channel? If yes, take a look at the signal strength. Also, if you're using an HDHomrun device, check that the firmware is up to date.

They are on the same channels, so I guess that could point to an issue on my end, the signal strength looks great to me. I will post a screen below.

Yea check the HDHR firmware if that's what you have, and also keep an eye on tuner signal strength during the time of the recording.

The FW is up to date, heres what the signal looks like. I have been watching the channel for an hour or so live, I have not noticed the blocking but a few times I saw a brief pause, like a one or two second skip. I suppose this could manifest itself on the recording as blocking. Crappy because its currently the channel that gets about 75% of my viewing. 

I will cross post at the SD forums.

Heres my HW

intel 4570s

8gb ddr3

250gb Evo SSD

HDHR Prime over gigabit.

post-4065-0-87304300-1550600939_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

I get occasional breakup. It doesn't really bother me. But as it's all on the same channel(s) you likely are getting momentary symbol quality drop. It might even be on the broadcast end. If it's consistent, check your cabling and connections. I used to install satellite TV, and you'd be surprised how often the connectors get corroded, or simply come loose.

lightsout

I get occasional breakup. It doesn't really bother me. But as it's all on the same channel(s) you likely are getting momentary symbol quality drop. It might even be on the broadcast end. If it's consistent, check your cabling and connections. I used to install satellite TV, and you'd be surprised how often the connectors get corroded, or simply come loose.

It wouldn't usually bother me but on some of the recent shows I have watched it is quite often. To the point that the show is hard to follow as you keep missing information. I will check the cables, but it is all brand new and recently installed. It should be good but you never know.

Guest asrequested

It wouldn't usually bother me but on some of the recent shows I have watched it is quite often. To the point that the show is hard to follow as you keep missing information. I will check the cables, but it is all brand new and recently installed. It should be good but you never know.

I did a lot of service calls for simple things like that. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's done well. Or with good products. Not all cable is the same. A lot of the copper conductors aren't actually copper. They are copper covered steel. Crap! Or could be kinked or crushed. Even if the conductor is intact, if the rest of is distorted, that can affect signal quality.

lightsout

I did a lot of service calls for simple things like that. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's done well. Or with good products. Not all cable is the same. A lot of the copper conductors aren't actually copper. They are copper covered steel. Crap! Or could be kinked or crushed. Even if the conductor is intact, if the rest of is distorted, that can affect signal quality.

I will check it out, I believe it is all quality. At least it is the stuff that Spectrum uses. I do have a splitter that they gave me, I assume its fine, but I should check to see if everything is tight/looking good still.

Guest asrequested

I will check it out, I believe it is all quality. At least it is the stuff that Spectrum uses. I do have a splitter that they gave me, I assume its fine, but I should check to see if everything is tight/looking good still.

The splitter could be bad. Check the outside connections, too. Each channel occupies a specific part of the bandwidth. If you are only getting issues on certain channels, that means that frequency is be compromised in some way. Sometimes they need to put a filter inline.

lightsout

The splitter could be bad. Check the outside connections, too. Each channel occupies a specific part of the bandwidth. If you are only getting issues on certain channels, that means that frequency is be compromised in some way. Sometimes they need to put a filter inline.

Basically there was one line coming into the house, all I had when the house was built this summer was internet. I then went and rented a cable card and they gave me the splitter, with which I split the single line that comes into the house.

Guest asrequested

Basically there was one line coming into the house, all I had when the house was built this summer was internet. I then went and rented a cable card and they gave me the splitter, with which I split the single line that comes into the house.

When was the last time you ran a channel scan?

Guest asrequested

A week ago, I could run one, what would that help?

Maybe, but if it were me, I'd test replacing the splitter and checking connections. I don't trust the installers. There are some good guys, but half of the guys I worked with, didn't really care how good their work was. I've done all of my own stuff.

Edited by Doofus

lightsout

Maybe, but if it were me, I'd test replacing the splitter and checking connections. I don't trust the installers. There are some good guys, but half of the guys I worked with, didn't really care how good their work was. I've done all of my own my own stuff.

Any recommendations on a splitter?