Android TV transcoding almost everything

Arnagos

Hi

I've bought a new Sony KD AF8 OLED TV and installed the Emby app. While testing it I noticed that almost everything is getting transcoded even though the TV supports all of the supposedly not supported formats.

The only things that have worked so far are: h264/5 with AC3 or AAC audio with ASS or SRT subs. Everything else isn't working.

I tested everything mentioned above and:

- FLAC Audio

- DTS Audio

- DTS-HD Audio

- Dolby True HD Audio

- 10 Bit Video

- PGS Subtitles

Additionally if I have a video with a not supported audio format and enable ASS subs the whole video is getting transcoded even though both ASS and the Video format are supported. If I disable the subtitles the video is transmitted as direct stream again.

Emby-Version: 1.6.86g

Server-Version: 4.0.2.0

Best regards

Edited by Arnagos

What leads you to believe that the TV supports all those audio formats?  Sony TVs do not support DTS or the HD audio natively.

But, in those cases, it should just be converting audio. Hard to say though without seeing a specific example.

I checked the product page and it lists support for DTS, most Dolby formats and FLAC. Though you are correct that not support for DTS-HD and Dolby True HD are listed. The thing is that I have the TV connected to a Marantz Receiver via ARC HDMI. This Receiver supports absolutely every audio format I listed above and I actually thought that the audio would just be bitstreamed to it without getting touched like the PC Theatre Application does.

The thing that's really bothering me is the video transcode. I see no reason why an unsupported audio format should trigger video transcode just because substitles are there. And why does 10 bit video not work? The TV supports HDR, even Dolby Vision, so 10 bit should be supported, I think. The server isn't strong enough for transcoding and the quality reduction of the transcode is so extreme that I really don't want that to happen.

Edited by Arnagos

Here's the log of a video that is encoded h264, 10bit and has FLAC audio with ASS subs and transcodes (supposedly because of the audio codec). I additionally send the log via the app as described in the link.
Time: 18:48
User: arnagos

Log.txt

Edited by Arnagos

The log wasn't there when I first looked.

I will need Luke's help on why the video is transcoding.  It should only be converting the audio as far as I can see...