Feedback on 4.0.2 - Movie collection

Info1

First,

Let me thank all the work that went into server 4.0.2.

I reviewed the relase notes and still have an issue with my movie collection. TV series are find.

TV Series - I am OK with.

Directory structure:

D:\Series\"Series name"\Season\Episode #

When I open the folder in I receive a view of all my series sorted alphabetical and each series has a folder image. Sub folder is series synoisus and seasons. All good  - Thanks

Movies - Since 4.X added

d:\Moved\action

d:\Moved\drama

d:\Moved\Cartoon movies

d:\Moved\Fantasy

d:\Moved\Horror

d:\Moved\Comedy

d:\Moved\western

d:\Moved\Car movies
d:\Moved\James Bond

Each above folder will have 1 to 500 sub folders, for example my Iron man 3 folder:

d:\movies\action\Iron Man 3\Iron man 3 (2013).es.srt

d:\movies\action\Iron Man 3\Iron man 3 (2013).mp4

d:\movies\action\Iron Man 3\Iron man 3 (2013).nfo

When I go to Movies in MB, section action, 50% of my movie folders now have no image. When I click on Iron Man 2 I get a screen with the Iron Man 2 folder image and I must now click this to display the movie content. 

This started in 4.0.X and I thought it was being addressed in 4.0.2. I believe it was called mix content but it was perfect in 3.X. I want to sort gene myself…

Please advise how I get me folder icons back and removal of this second folder click I must do.

Sorry if this was asked but there appear to be many specific 4.0.2 thread and did not want to hijack them.

Regards

M.

PS. Why can I not past images in my thread? I tried IE and Chrome.

Edited by Info1

Hi.  You must be browsing by folders?  When you want to do that, we have to show you all the folders as folders.  There isn't a foolproof way for the system to know that you don't really want to see one of the folders.

Why not use the normal metadata-based genres to do what you are doing?  It would be more flexible (allowing the same movie in multiple sub-folders).

Hi.  You must be browsing by folders?  When you want to do that, we have to show you all the folders as folders.  There isn't a foolproof way for the system to know that you don't really want to see one of the folders.

Why not use the normal metadata-based genres to do what you are doing?  It would be more flexible (allowing the same movie in multiple sub-folders).

Thanks, yes I am in Folder view but this was fine pre-4.X.

I prefer to group my movie collection so I can isolate type like car movies, james bond, Marvel ect...these are not genres that are naturally found. In addition sometimes I prefer to override the genres setting based on my how I believe the movies should be for me. 

Again, only issue is this was fine in 3.x version. 

Thanks but any suggestion how to get ride of the second folder click and get my image to be viewable back in the folder view?

No one commented on my inability to post screen shots as well. What I am I doing wrong.

Thanks

M.

Thanks EBR.

Further to my thread above folder view is inconsistant. 

Please see below, the folder view. Some folder images appear other do not. The second image is the second click on Seveth Son, the image there. I should not have to click on the folder twice. Was fine in 3.x

5c6b1f5e037e7_Folderview.jpg

5c6b1f7504888_Insidefolder.jpg

Regards,

m

Please post a Windows Explorer screenshot of the content of "Seventh Son".

Please see below. 

I still need to understand why I need click twice to get to the movie when in folder view. Did not need it in version 3.X

I know you are going to say there is no folder image but the .nfo file points to image displayed.

5c6f46260581c_folderview.jpg

There is no folder or movie image. :)

Folder view changed in V4 so it's not going to work the same as V3.

To be honest it sounds like you might be better off separating each of those movie sections into it's own library OR creating a collection for each category for easy viewing.  I myself would just use a genre filter as I prefer to have everything in one library.  I do create collections for things like Submarine movies, War movies, etc however.

Happy2Play

Have you run an additional Library scan as in my test adding media to a library (database only metadata/images) they did not appear for folders until I ran an additional Library scan.

All the folders inherited the item image.

Thanks for the feedback,

I have run the scan several times and the *.nfo files details where the images are. I did not set this up it wat part of 3.X.

I will rethink the library but again, 4.X broke this was it was working fine before. Very disappointed in the view and having to click through the folder to get to the movie.I don't think I am an edge case and see other post around similar responses.

Thanks again for the suggestions and recommendations.

m

Ok, I have time tomorrow to restructure my movie library. Today it is”

d:\Movies\action\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\drama\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\Cartoon movies\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\Fantasy\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\Horror\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\Comedy\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\western\Movie a-z

d:\Movies\Car movies\Movie a-z
d:\Movies\James Bond
\Movie a-z

With one library in MB server call Movies. This creates the undesirable folder view I now have with 4.X

What is the best practice structure? Looking at the Wiki and it I so not see it.

Thanks

M

Deathsquirrel
What is the best practice structure? Looking at the Wiki and it I so not see it.

I recommend creating folders that support your access control needs.  For example, I have a folder for movies only I want to see and another folder for movies multiple people in my family would want to watch.

Within those folders, each movie should have its own subfolder.  So I might have \\Server\Share\Movies Deathsquirrel\A Clockwork Orange (1971)\A Clockwork Orange (1971).mkv and \\Server\Share\Movies Family\Tombstone (1993)\Tombstone (1993).mkv.

In the Emby Movies library I would add \\Server\Share\Movies Family and \\Server\Share\Movies Deathsquirrel.  I would give all users rights to the \Movies Family folder but only me rights to \Movies Deathsquirrel.  That way each of my users sees appropriate movies.  I overlay that with parental controls on individual users so I don't have to organize by movie ratings.

I recommend creating folders that support your access control needs.  For example, I have a folder for movies only I want to see and another folder for movies multiple people in my family would want to watch.

Within those folders, each movie should have its own subfolder.  So I might have \\Server\Share\Movies Deathsquirrel\A Clockwork Orange (1971)\A Clockwork Orange (1971).mkv and \\Server\Share\Movies Family\Tombstone (1993)\Tombstone (1993).mkv.

In the Emby Movies library I would add \\Server\Share\Movies Family and \\Server\Share\Movies Deathsquirrel.  I would give all users rights to the \Movies Family folder but only me rights to \Movies Deathsquirrel.  That way each of my users sees appropriate movies.  I overlay that with parental controls on individual users so I don't have to organize by movie ratings.

Thanks for this, 

Where I got lost along the way was in pre 4.X my directories were as above but for the life of me I do not understand how to manage the library so when I go in to watch a movie I do not have to scroll though 2000 movies. I sported the way I wanted and had a folder view. I tested putting the folder in the root but I still have to click through the folder to get to the movie. I am obviously;y missing something here.

Can you post a pic of you home screen and what you layout looks like.

Thanks

m

Thanks Happy,

What client are you using to view? When you choose a movie from 'A' say About Cherry (I have this one too LOL) do you get the movie or About Cherry folder view? Can you share you IE folder view please?

I have use Emby Threater 3.0.6 for PC

Thanks

M

Happy2Play

Thanks Happy,

What client are you using to view? When you choose a movie from 'A' say About Cherry (I have this one too LOL) do you get the movie or About Cherry folder view? Can you share you IE folder view please?

I have use Emby Threater 3.0.6 for PC

Thanks

M

Just like the icon shows it is a folder, not the item.  There is a change for this in the beta but is just as destructive as the migration from 3.5 to v4 was, requiring specific content types to rebuild to remove this additional folder layer.

If one was still on 3.5.x and were to upgrade (beta 4.1.0.9+) it would be painless (at least in my tests)

Just like the icon shows it is a folder, not the item.  There is a change for this in the beta but is just as destructive as the migration from 3.5 to v4 was, requiring specific content types to rebuild to remove this additional folder layer.

If one was still on 3.5.x and were to upgrade (beta 4.1.0.9+) it would be painless (at least in my tests)

Thanks,

this is what I am struggling with the second folder that you have to click through. Not sure I understand what this was introduced in 4.X but my native folder viw was perfect in 3.X. Will this be correct or a configuration item in a future release. If so I will sit back and just wait. 

Thanks for the candid response.

m

Happy2Play

Thanks,

this is what I am struggling with the second folder that you have to click through. Not sure I understand what this was introduced in 4.X but my native folder viw was perfect in 3.X. Will this be correct or a configuration item in a future release. If so I will sit back and just wait. 

Thanks for the candid response.

m

That is why the migration from 3.x to v4 took so long, there was a new folder discovery method added.  To try and support all those crazy media structures.  But in beta there is "Collapse single item folders for new libraries going forward" .  

I would wait for the next release.  I am still testing upgrade scenarios but I know upgrading from 3.x to 4.1.0.9+ the new setting is applied.

That is why the migration from 3.x to v4 took so long, there was a new folder discovery method added.  To try and support all those crazy media structures.  But in beta there is "Collapse single item folders for new libraries going forward" .  

I would wait for the next release.  I am still testing upgrade scenarios but I know upgrading from 3.x to 4.1.0.9+ the new setting is applied.

Thanks,

I am on 4.0.2 and will hold. Appreciate the help and advise.

m

• 1 month later...
rsaxman

The issues I am having with this new set up is subtitles. Traditionally, subtitles have been in a sub-folder, which now give the weird folder view mentioned above. If I move everything to one folder to fix the way it looks and avoid clicking twice, Emby fails to find the subtitle track. What gives?

The issues I am having with this new set up is subtitles. Traditionally, subtitles have been in a sub-folder, which now give the weird folder view mentioned above. If I move everything to one folder to fix the way it looks and avoid clicking twice, Emby fails to find the subtitle track. What gives?

Hi there, can you please discuss a specific example? thanks.

rsaxman

My file structure is similar to the OP. ex: \\server\movies\action\fast&furious

subtitles were in their own folder (\subs) This worked find in theater 3.x.  To get rid of the funky 2 folder issues I moved the subs to the main folder \fast&furious but now emby can't find the sub file

My file structure is similar to the OP. ex: \\server\movies\action\fast&furious

subtitles were in their own folder (\subs) This worked find in theater 3.x.  To get rid of the funky 2 folder issues I moved the subs to the main folder \fast&furious but now emby can't find the sub file

Can you please provide an exact example rather than a general one? For example, exactly what files and folders are there? A screenshot would help as well. Thanks.

Regarding a \subs sub-folder, Emby has never supported that. It's possible that a video player we were using may have picked up those files, but if it was, it was by accident.

So we do not support a subs folder right now, but it is planned for the future. Thanks.