Live TV HD Channel Black Screen with Audio

QDivision

QDivision

Hi,

When I start a live tv stream (hd channel) it starts to play but only with a black screen, the audio is playing correctly. However if i then click settings and change the bitrate to a different one it then plays fine.

I have attached the 2 ffmpeg log files.

Log1.txt

Log2.txt

QDivision

UPDATE: If I set 'enable hardware acceleration' to no it works fine again, so it seems having this set to yes was causing problems however I don't want to disable this and should be able to use hardware acceleration no problem.

new logs attached, it is also taking longer than it has done in the past to connect to the live tv stream.

@@Luke - in the first (non-working) case, Emby thinks the video is mpeg2video, although it seems to be H.264. Any idea why?

This is plugin-based live tv. I think the TVMosaic plugin is reporting mpeg2video when it should just be left blank if the plugin can't accurately predict that. I can let the developer know.

QDivision

@@Luke why would the transcoding setting have an effect on this though? If I set it to No then it works normally. Surely changing this setting doesn't change how the plugin is reporting it?

Edited by DIY-Sensei

@@Luke why would the transcoding setting have an effect on this though? If I set it to No then it works normally. Surely changing this setting doesn't change how the plugin is reporting it?

Because the device can play h264 but the plug-in is telling us it is something else so we try to convert it.

Then, when you turn off the ability to convert it, we have no choice but to just send it raw to the device - which works.

If the system knew the proper format, we would not try to transcode it.

QDivision

@@ebr apologies, I meant turning off hardware acceleration. Emby is still software transcoding it since it will fall outside the streaming bitrate limit. It's the hardware acceleration that breaks it.

@@ebr apologies, I meant turning off hardware acceleration. Emby is still software transcoding it since it will fall outside the streaming bitrate limit. It's the hardware acceleration that breaks it.

In case of software decoding, ffmpeg will automatically choose the right decoder. This is not possible with hw decoding. For the latter, we need to know the encoding before starting ffmpeg.

• Like 2

QDivision

In case of software decoding, ffmpeg will automatically choose the right decoder. This is not possible with hw decoding. For the latter, we need to know the encoding before starting ffmpeg.

Thanks for the information.

QDivision

Tried the updated plugin, i no longer get the black screen but I've noticed that the time it takes to start the stream is dramatically different between having hardware acceleration on and off.

With hardware acceleration on it takes about 30 seconds before the streams shows up (attached logs for this case)

With it turned off it takes about 15 seconds

However if I try to play a movie (with hardware acceleration on or off) it take less than 5 seconds to start.

server.txt

ffmpeg.txt

Edited by DIY-Sensei

@

From the logs I can't see anything that would explain the different startup delay.

Sometimes Emby is making several attempts to setup transcoding.

Could you please retry both cases and collect all ffmpeg logs that have been newly created (separate for each case).

QDivision

@@softworkz

See new attached logs and server logs, I started a stream with hardware acceleration on and off for: live tv, recorded tv and a movie.

times to start each one are:

Hardware acceleration on:

live tv - 25s
recorded tv - 5s
movie - 5s

Hardware acceleration off:

live tv - 15s
recorded tv - 5s
movie - 5s

as you can see the only item affected seems to be live tv and that changes depending on the hardware acceleration setting but either way it's still quite long.

serverlog.txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(on)_soucre(livetv)_startuptime(25s).txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(on)_soucre(recordedtv)_startuptime(5s).txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(on)_soucre(movie)_startuptime(5s).txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(off)_soucre(livetv)_startuptime(15s).txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(off)_soucre(recordedtv)_startuptime(5s).txt

ffmpeg_hardwareacceleration(off)_soucre(movie)_startuptime(5s).txt

Thanks for doing all the work, but I'm afraid, you misunderstood me.

I apologize if I didn't explain well enough.

Let's focus on the live-tv-with-hw-acceleration-on case (25s):

• Go to your log folder and delete all ffmpeg logs
  • Go to Emby scheduled tasks and execute log rollover task
  • Then perform a single(!!!) playback of live tv 
  • Let it play for 1 min
  • Then post the server log and all(!) ffmpeg logs that have been created

Thanks for the new log. I had assumed that there might be more.

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure why it takes such a long time.

I can see that Emby is running ffprobe on the live input stream, about 20s after transcoding starts. 

Maybe @@Luke has some more insight..