Live TV direct play's but Recorded TV Transcodes

BillyBob1

BillyBob1

Over the past few days we have been noticing that only some not all of our recorded live TV mainly CBS is transcoding but when we watch CBS live it is direct play. I will attach logs from last night. Log.txt

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BillyBob1

It states that it exceeds bit rate. But when I am watching a show live it is direct playing. This is running off of my own HDhomerun. I'm just confused why a recording from the same source is treated differently.

Well, looking at the log you posted, it states the reason as "Container not supported" and it isn't transcoding.  It is only swapping the container.

BillyBob1

I'm am running on an up to date shield TV. Why would the shows record in a container that isn't supported but direct play when watching live? Can I change the type of container Emby records in?

I will look at the bit rate when I get home tonight.

TylerV76

Why is MPV being used to play the recording but ExoPlayer used for Live TV? Did you change the settings for playback? 

Im watching the exact same show right now and its using ExoPlayer and Direct Streaming.

BillyBob1

I do not know. I did not select that type of player. I went into my clients setting and confirmed I do not have it selected. as preferred.

TylerV76

I do not know. I did not select that type of player. I went into my clients setting and confirmed I do not have it selected. as preferred.

In the Emby app on your Shield, go to Settings>Live TV>Prefer MPV for recordings. Is that checked? If so uncheck it and then check the stats for nerds while playing the video. 

TylerV76

It was unchecked and always has been unchecked.

Ok thats not normal. It should be playing in ExoPlayer for both Live and Recorded content. 

Im using and HDHomeRun also and Shields and none of mine use MPV. 

Try the Beta version of the app and see if that fixes it. Its currently version 1.6.86g. You can roll back to stable if you like very easily but Ive been running the beta on all mine for a while with no issues. 

That situation is different from the log you posted previously.  In that case, we attempted to direct play it but there was an error so we've fallen back to transcoding.

BillyBob1

Okay. When I get home today I will test some other OTA recordings and post logs. Should I put Emby in debug mode before? What other logs would you like besides ffmpeg?