Need help with port forwaring

Patkin
Go to solution Solved by CChris,

Hello

I want to access my Emby server remotely and I need some help with port forwarding. I have my own router (TP-link in my room) and also a WiFi antenna/router from my ISP (Mikrotik on the roof of my house).

I tried to set up port forwarding on my TP-link router, but I can't access it. Protocol TCP, port from 8096 to 8096, IP Address 192.168.1.108.

The problem is that I don't have access to the Mikrotik antenna from my ISP. I contacted them and they said they can't give me access, but they can do port forwarding for me. So my question is, what do I need to tell them to make my server accesseble from WAN? 

Is it the same thing I had setup in my TP-link router? Protocol TCP, port from 8096 to 8096, IP Address 192.168.1.108 (address of the server, my PC)?

I have never done port forwarding, so I just want to be sure before I message them. Is this correct? 

Thanks!

As far as I understand from your description, your own network seems to be only a subnet within the network in your house:

Network - ISP Router
--> Subnet: Your Router / Your Server

Then, the Portforwarding should be configured for Port 8096 to the IP of your Router.
Then, your Router should forward the Port to your Server.

If the ISP Router is accessible from your network, then it could work with forwarding the port directly to your pc - without having portforwarding configured in your router.

But basically, you can use any Port you want from "outside"...

e.g.
If you don't want to type the port each time when using the browser - and you don't have any other application which is listening to port 80, you could just use:

External: Port 80 -> Internal: Port 8096

Hope, this helps you a bit?

• Like 2

The Mikrotik router is connected directly to my TP-link router through PoE. I can access the login page of the ISP Mikrotik router, but I don't know the password.

Yes, the server is in the only subnet in my home network.

So I'll give ISP the address of my TP-link router (192.168.1.1) with the port 8096 and TCP protocol and they will configure it in their Mikrotik router. After that, I will configure Port forwarding to the server (192.168.1.108:8096) in my TP-link router and I should be able to access the server from WAN, is that correct?

For now, I'm ok with entering the port number.

EODCrafter

The Mikrotik router is connected directly to my TP-link router through PoE. I can access the login page of the ISP Mikrotik router, but I don't know the password.

So I'll give ISP the address of my TP-link router (192.168.1.1) with the port 8096 and TCP protocol and they will configure it in their Mikrotik router. After that, I will configure Port forwarding to the server (192.168.1.108:8096) in my TP-link router and I should be able to access the server from WAN, is that correct?

A router connected to a router? Hmmm...The router that faces the Internet is the one that needs the port forwarded. Is this what you did? If so it should work!

The mikrotik is more like a WiFi antenna that connects to ISP broadcast tower (the internet). I can't do the port forwading on this antenna myself, my ISP has to do it. 

So I just wanted to check what I need to send them for the remote access to emby to work.

• Like 1

yes, understood.
But if you can connect directly to the router of the ISP, I do not understand, why you need to have a second router.

e.g. the Network of your ISP Router is 192.168.1.1 / Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
And the Subnet Mask of your own network router is also set to 255.255.255.0 all devices are within the same network - and can talk to each other.

Then, you don't need to have a second router.
You would need to have a second router, if the network is splitted into different subnets

e.g. your local networt is different than 255.255.255.0
Or, the second option where you might need to have a second router is when you are working with VLans...

You see, providing you the correct information how to setup your portforwarding requires some more information about your networt setup at all :)

Just curious what sort of speed you get with this setup. It seems you have a 4G LTE modem?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

So your ISP is using WiFi and you're basically using an access point? How close is their tower

Is another provider available for you? Wired maybe?

• Solution

Ah okey, thanks :)
Then my first opinion was correct:

your ISP needs to setup portforwarding to your router

the Port can be any port you want:

ISP Router (incomming Port x) --> Destination Router 192.168.1.1 (port y) --> Your Router (incomming Port y) --> Destination your Server (Port 8096)

• Like 1

So your ISP is using WiFi and you're basically using an access point? How close is their tower

Is another provider available for you? Wired maybe?

Yes, I'm using wireless connection from my ISP. The tower is on top of near building, about 130 meters away from my access point. 

I live in a small village, no wired connection for me :( there are other ISPs with similar speeds or Mobile service providers (Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile), they provide 4G LTE with unlimited data cap, but I didn't heard good things about this. Some say this kind of connection is very unstable. 

Ah okey, thanks :)

Then my first opinion was correct:

your ISP needs to setup portforwarding to your router

the Port can be any port you want:

ISP Router (incomming Port x) --> Destination Router 192.168.1.1 (port y) --> Your Router (incomming Port y) --> Destination your Server (Port 8096)

Yes, Thank you for this, I sent my ISP an email and I hope I'll have remote access to my Emby server soon.

Thank you once again :)

Happy2Play

Yes when you have more then one router in the mix you will have a double nat issue.

Have you tried admin and no password?

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/MikroTik

Hi @@Happy2Play
you are right.

Internet access can work in double nat but it might cause issues with portforwarding.
I'm still not sure, why the ISP is setting up a router with a 255.255.0.0 Subnet, but it might be, that there are several other private networks connected to this ISP router.

Also, due to this, I am not sure, if it's really a good Idea to change anything on the ISP Router without having the ISP involved.
They mentioned, that they can setup the portforwarding on the ISP router - so I guess, they know what to do in such a case... ?!