Emby will not uninstall

stoc2528

stoc2528

Trying to remove Emby from my Windows 10 workstation and the uninstaller starts then disappears leaving the "Emby" app still showing up in Windows 10 uninstall (apps).  When I try to run the uninstaller again it says it can't find the app.  But Emby is still listed in Windows 10 Apps that I have installed.

So, how to I actually remove Emby and clear it from the list of installed "apps" in the Windows 10 control panel?

Gilgamesh_48

Trying to remove Emby from my Windows 10 workstation and the uninstaller starts then disappears leaving the "Emby" app still showing up in Windows 10 uninstall (apps).  When I try to run the uninstaller again it says it can't find the app.  But Emby is still listed in Windows 10 Apps that I have installed.

So, how to I actually remove Emby and clear it from the list of installed "apps" in the Windows 10 control panel?

In my experience it tales hours for Emby to completely uninstall if it has been installed and running for a while. Even after it completes I have had to go in and manually delete a large number of Emby directories that Emby created while it was running.

Also, even after everything that could be deleted and uninstalled was it required a full reboot of my computer to really get Emby scrubbed off.

Once, after a full uninstall, I had to reinstall Emby (without setting up any libraries) and then uninstall it again in order to make it really go away.

While Emby deserves some of the blame for the uninstall problems Windows also has a share in said blame.

Emby is a complex system and Windows just does not work and play well with such complexity. You should try uninstalling a Plex system that has been running for several years and through several Windows and Plex updates.

Hi, now that you've done this, please try refreshing the installed apps list and see if it's still there. Thanks.

Happy2Play

Haven't tested this in awhile.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53081-uninstall-emby-server-from-windows/?p=595733

In my experience it tales hours for Emby to completely uninstall if it has been installed and running for a while. Even after it completes I have had to go in and manually delete a large number of Emby directories that Emby created while it was running.

Really, there is one folder (at least on Windows). Unless you have customized paths for Cache, Metadata, and Trancoding-temp.

Edited by Happy2Play

stoc2528

After restart Emby entry remained.  After deleting this registry key from the quoted link "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Emby Server" it's gone.

At least it "looks" like it's gone.  If there are files left somewhere I don't know about it.

Thanks,

Edited by stoc2528

stoc2528

Also, even after everything that could be deleted and uninstalled was it required a full reboot of my computer to really get Emby scrubbed off.

I only had Emby on my windows box to play with it before I installed a Linux server specifically for running Emby at home so I don't think there was that much for it to remove, Maybe only 20 moves available to index.

Happy2Play

None that I am aware of.  The uninstaller link and %appdata%\Emby-Server folder (removed during uninstall).  Never checked but possibly the Firewall rules.

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48

Really, there is one folder (at least on Windows). Unless you have customized paths for Cache, Metadata, and Trancoding-temp.

I was including the sub-directories of that directory. The last time I uninstalled a full Emby install that had been active for a good while that one directory had tens of thousands sub-directories where each contained several files and/or other directories.

Yes it was one directory but there were many many layers of further content. When I told Windows to delete that on directory it took about ten minutes or more for Windows to just create its delete list and another couple of hours to finish deleting all the itty bitty files and directories.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

• 8 months later...

I installed emby beta to checkout the new features. Now I want to uninstall it and install the stable version. But it won't uninstall. What should I do? Every time I try to uninstall I get this error!

5dbbbeb4b96be_61C0495CCE8F468AB2D027F1B1

Edited by AbirX

It seemed buggy and less responsive. There was a big lag on video opening! How should I completely remove all the files. Should I just delete the user app data files?

Edited by AbirX

• 4 weeks later...
danielwoe

Hello,

I have been using Emby Server on Windows 10 for a while and want to uninstall it now. Unfortunately this does not work.

Under Apps and Features I select the entry "Emby Server" (Version 4.3) and click on "Uninstall".  A window then opens: "This app cannot be executed on the PC. Please contact the software publisher to find a suitable version for your PC" (see attached).

What can be the reason and what can I do?

Regards

Daniel

post-546226-0-55944500-1575060238_thumb.png

ccopeland58

If I had known this I would never have tried Emby. 

I tried to uninstall and it quickly removed the program entry but apparently no files were uninstalled.  It still boots up with emby server intact.

Hi.  The server is completely self-contained in a single directory tree (the dashboard shows you where).  You can just delete it and any shortcuts you have.

Thanks.

danielwoe

Hello, Luke,

thank you for your answer and the reference to the other thread. The problem described there looks very similar, but it seems to be different. In the other thread the deinstallation was not aborted with an error message as in my case but just took hours to complete.

Is the error message I get known to Emby and does Emby has an interest in finding the reason and fixing it?

Regards

Daniel

The error message looks the same that you mentioned as in the other topic. yes we need to rework the installer. Please follow the other topic for news on that. Thanks !

eherberg

Experiencing this on Win10 as well.  My normal computer crashed so I was running it temporarily on my wife's computer.  Tried uninstalling it tonight and ran into the same error.  Reboot and it starts back up on her computer.  If I delete the directory, that will be sufficient?  Manual registry settings to remove?  Or other way to get system uninstall to complete normally?

Edited by eherberg

We're looking into the uninstaller problems. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

In the meantime, the server is completely self-contained in a single directory tree (the dashboard shows you where).  You can just delete it and any start menu shortcuts you have. There are no registry entries.

stpierrea

Hi,

I have the same problem with version 4.3.0.30

Do you have a solution?

I want to reinstall from scratch with all default settings.

Thanks

Alain

neilparmar

Hi, looks like a potential problem with our uninstaller. Why do you want to uninstall?

Has anyone found how to uninstall Emby on Windows 10 PC without the error, "this app cannot run on your PC"???

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am in the progress of testing Emby and made some configuration changes in the GUI and wish to uninstall the server and start from scratch.    Here's what I've attempted to do...no luck thus far:

1) Use the Uninstaller from Windows - I get a notification that Windows was unable to remove the software and that it may already be removed (it wasn't) and it will simply remove the entry from the list of installed programs.

2) Browsed into the hard drive, App Data -> roaming -> Emby-server -> System and found MediaBrowser.Uninstaller.   Attempting to use that generates a Windows error:  "This app can't run on your PC" and it closes down.   Running compatability troubleshooter didn't help.   

3) I've attemped to just simply re-install emby hoping I could then uninstall it.   Same problems as defined above.

Why won't this software uninstall?

Thanks!

This is on Windows Server 2016 with Admin rights using the latest version of the public download (not beta).

post-552012-0-33282500-1576508113_thumb.jpg