Camera upload (select photos)

skidmarks

On 2/22/2023 at 2:41 PM, negativzeroe said:

I can guarantee you that any Jerry rigging you do with Emby will confuse them more than using another app. Check out the awesome self hosted list on GitHub for a proper photos app if Nextcloud is too much and have them use that. Then if you really want to you can just point emby to those folders.

In the Emby app it is as simple as going to settings -> Camera Upload -> then selecting the folders from which you want to automatically upload photos.

negativzeroe
11 hours ago, Luke said:

In the Emby app it is as simple as going to settings -> Camera Upload -> then selecting the folders from which you want to automatically upload photos.

The ask is for having it work for other family members, and having their own photos libraries. Emby just creates a new library and dumps them all in the folders like you said. So if my wife and I both have camera upload on, and we both have the same phone (as we actually do), it dumps all in the one folder and anyone else with camera upload on sees it, not ideal when you make late night videos. Now we have to go into each users settings and uncheck that folder for our phone model, which will only hinder another family member which has the exact same phone. But this probably is yet another thing that is likely limited by the fact that emby has never had proper user management in the first place.

We (the users) have been asking for proper user management for years and have yet to see any real progress on that. Every new user I create, I have to uncheck "all libraries" and check all the libraries people want. Because we do have a Family Photos library that I pull down each night with rclone, but that's only for certain people. And if I want to test the Books function when I see it in the release notes, only to be let down again, there is no reason for that test library to be on all my users' profiles.

Now there is a "copy" function, as first proposed here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21744-fr-copy-user-user-templates/

But at no point were the following comments of user groups (as Cerothen states) considered as maybe a better idea. As Raff states: "While copying would be nice, if something changes then you have to go back and change all the impacted accounts which sounds unfun."

I can tell you it is unfun. Now I have to go back through my users and add all their permissions one at a time if they have already been created. Copy to all doesn't make sense for a single library because that will overwrite the other people that have different permissions.

Now if we had groups, we could have a "media" group, a "home videos" group, a "learning" group. We could then create tv, movies, music under media, family photos and whatever other photo albums under home videos, and have "mixed content" libraries for things that we get from Youtube/Udemy/other types of learning sources. Then we can default all users to be added to media, and add learning or home videos to their profile as we see fit (or rather add the user to the group). Then if we add audiobooks, we add it to media, and all the users in media get audiobooks now, yay!

But that's not how it works. Which is where my comment about "Let Emby do what it's good at, and find something else for another use" comes into play. Just like with audiobooks - sure Emby technically has the functionality but it's bare minimum. There is no way in hell I could maintain a non-technical user in Emby. I've tried. Having to constantly explain how Emby treats books as music with saving progress, which you have to cross your fingers that it actually saved is exhausting And yes, saving progress was still a problem at least up until a few months ago where I finally gave up after years of trying. Ever since it was first implemented (which was the whole reason I bought premier, to be able to cache my audiobooks - by the way Emby ate my data with cached audiobooks as well), I've been fighting with Emby trying to listen to my books and then I switched to Audiobookshelf.

Now it may seem like I am on a tirade, but I actually do really like Emby, I've just learned to accept it for what it is. Movies and TV, as you have stated, is your primary focus. It does that well. Music it does well too as long as I treat it as a CD collection with playlists. It saves progress in mixed content so I can put my learning content too. So I'm not trying to complain (though I've certainly gone through my fair share of struggling, so yeah I'm just a bit irked as I'm writing this), I'm mostly just trying to save someone else the headache I've gone through trying to force Emby to behave in a way that it doesn't.

Edited by negativzeroe

• 7 months later...
On 17/03/2023 at 02:13, Luke said:

Hi all,

is there any tentative date for allowing' select photo upload' to server or (re upload) ?- such a great thing to have in emby but missing a winning feature.

10 hours ago, DAN__M said:

Hi all,

is there any tentative date for allowing' select photo upload' to server or (re upload) ?- such a great thing to have in emby but missing a winning feature.

HI, I don't have an ETA on that, sorry.