Metadata Over-write During Upgrade

Theodore

Theodore

During the upgrade to 4.0.x a database update was needed. This is fine, but it did not respect the lockdata tags in metadata. Some of us have spent a LOT of time in making sure the data we input is accurate and having Emby overwrite this data with incomplete information is unacceptable and should never happen. Now I understand where it came from: Emby's embedded fetchers to open source locations such as TMDB. The problem is that ALL of my metadata files have the lockdata function set to True. When you create your updates, you have to make sure that Emby is respecting those locks and not trying to re-write or overwrite existing data.

As proof I pulled up Moana this evening for the ankle biter and saw this: https://i.imgur.com/23eYaw1.png 

It should have looked like this: https://i.imgur.com/2vANlBi.png 

I really like Emby, but please, you cannot let something like this happen.

I apologize for the disruption. 4.0 was a large and complex release, and for some the upgrade process was not quite as smooth as desired. We are looking into improving this so that it will not happen again. Thanks.

Theodore

I doubt it is the smoking gun, but possibly something to lead you in the right direction as to WHY this happened (and another bug report in it's own right). The Metadata Manager through the dashboard is broken (SEE HERE). When highlighting the library it is supposed to show a general overview of that library as well as if I were to click "Lock this item" at the bottom of the edit field it would lock (or unlock if clearing the check) all items below it. Here you can see that even though I highlight the library "Movies" it stays on the last item selected. Additionally ALL metadata is missing from the edit window when looking at a specific item. If I go to the item through the library and select "Edit metadata" from there, then the data is present. And though I do not remember for sure, I believe the date listed for "Date added" on that item is the date I ran the update.

Happy2Play

Edit metadata has been removed from Libraries.  But yes navigating from a library item back to the Library maintains previously selected item instead of clearing Edit options.

This does create the lock/unlock issue though.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70089-lockunlock-whole-library-movies-or-tv-shows-on-4x

Theodore

Edit metadata has been removed from Libraries.  But yes navigating from a library item back to the Library maintains previously selected item instead of clearing Edit options.

This does create the lock/unlock issue though.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70089-lockunlock-whole-library-movies-or-tv-shows-on-4x

That is highly annoying but makes sense for what I am seeing. That still leaves all metadata missing from Metadata Manager however.

Happy2Play

That is highly annoying but makes sense for what I am seeing. That still leaves all metadata missing from Metadata Manager however.

No you are just forced to navigate to another level. Now Library-Folder-Item in most cases.   That is why Luke added the icons.  Looks like icons might only be in beta right now.

5c6650d0da5c0_mm.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Theodore

Why on EARTH would you add another layer down to expand to see the data?! We should be able to view the status of the entire library without having to expand items out and look at them one at a time! You don't organize the documents on your computer by putting each individual document/file in its own folder do you?

Theodore

The only time that is ever seen is when browsing by folders.

Or by, you know, looking at Metadata Manager. That is still displaying every individual file in its own individual folder. That is a BAD design choice. Put out 4.0.2.1 with the right and logical view.