Black screen without internet - Bug or design?

Info1
Go to solution Solved by Info1,

Hello,

Last evening durning a significant snow storm we lost our Cable TV feed and Internet access for a couple hours. We decided it was a perfect time to watch a movie from our collection on Emby. No go as we were greated with a black screen when we launched emby threatre.

I am running an intel NUC that connects to my TV panel. I run emby server and threatre on this device to display content.

It appear it may be checking for an update but I thought the service would time out and just left it but after 10 minutes we gave up and used VLC to watch a movie.

Is this a bug or does the current release need internet to run. No to pleased wiht this behavior an it makes the service useless.

Thanks

m

Not that this solves the issue with Emby being unavailable but with a PC such as a NUC you can always navigate to the file with Explorer and launch it with MPC or VLC and watch away. Also, was your router down too making network shares unavailable?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

Hello,

Last evening durning a significant snow storm we lost our Cable TV feed and Internet access for a couple hours. We decided it was a perfect time to watch a movie from our collection on Emby. No go as we were greated with a black screen when we launched emby threatre.

I am running an intel NUC that connects to my TV panel. I run emby server and threatre on this device to display content.

It appear it may be checking for an update but I thought the service would time out and just left it but after 10 minutes we gave up and used VLC to watch a movie.

Is this a bug or does the current release need internet to run. No to pleased wiht this behavior an it makes the service useless.

Thanks

m

which emby theatre? The MS store one or the desktop version. The second is obtained from the emby website

Not that this solves the issue with Emby being unavailable but with a PC such as a NUC you can always navigate to the file with Explorer and launch it with MPC or VLC and watch away. Also, was your router down too making network shares unavailable?

Hello Sammy, thank you for the feedback. In my post I indicated we used VLC.  I would like to add from the MB Server I went to the Dashboard and attempted to watch a movie but it would not launch as EMBY considers IE not a modern browser.

Regards,

Mark

which emby theatre? The MS store one or the desktop version. The second is obtained from the emby website

Thanks Spaceboy, issue occurred using the desktop version. Running the latest version, 3.6 I think along with server 4.01.

As soon as the internet came back up all was normal.

sadly I think EMBY does a check for an update when it loads, timer needs to be adjusted to skip if no internet connection possible or a setting adding to the server to stop check and go into offline mode.

Just a suggestion as I am not sure why this occurred but should be easy to reproduce if needed by the Dev's here.

Mark

Hello Sammy, thank you for the feedback. In my post I indicated we used VLC. I would like to add from the MB Server I went to the Dashboard and attempted to watch a movie but it would not launch as EMBY considers IE not a modern browser.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry I read right over that. Reading Forum posts at 3 in the morning can sometimes cause me to not digest all the information. I'm glad you were able to watch something anyhow.

Thanks Spaceboy, issue occurred using the desktop version. Running the latest version, 3.6 I think along with server 4.01.

As soon as the internet came back up all was normal.

sadly I think EMBY does a check for an update when it loads, timer needs to be adjusted to skip if no internet connection possible or a setting adding to the server to stop check and go into offline mode.

Just a suggestion as I am not sure why this occurred but should be easy to reproduce if needed by the Dev's here.

Mark

That's a great suggestion even if it wasn't the cause of your issue. In the meantime under the server settings web page you can disable all checks for updates.

On a side note, I had some issues this morning updating to server version 4.0.2.0 and although the installation was downloaded I couldn't get it to install. During the time period that it was pending installation it wouldn't play anything on my ShieldTV. You may also have been experiencing this same thing.

That's a great suggestion even if it wasn't the cause of your issue. In the meantime under the server settings web page you can disable all checks for updates.

On a side note, I had some issues this morning updating to server version 4.0.2.0 and although the installation was downloaded I couldn't get it to install. During the time period that it was pending installation it wouldn't play anything on my ShieldTV. You may also have been experiencing this same thing.

Thanks for the input. I will test it tonight and if persist continue this thread.

M.

• Solution

OK,

I had some time for testing the issue I saw Feb 12.

Duiring an outage from my Internet provider when I launched the MB Windows desktop app I was getting a black screen. Perseisted and did not change.

Testing

-Validated all was running.

-Removed network cable from my NUC servers.

-testing all good, able to access my local media content.

Next test

-Removed the Cable TV wire from my modem

-testing all good, able to access local media content.

I did take the new servers version 4.0.2 before testing but I at this point I can not explain the behavior. 

Please close the thread, no bug.

Thanks

M

• Like 1