Unable to connect remotely

crusher11
Go to solution Solved by Sneakers4Sneakin,

Angus Black

No, you don't port forward to the WAN IP.

I'm prtetty well at the end of my network knowledge. :)

I think you'll have to get a static IP from MyRepublic.

At least call and ask if that's what you have to do.

Another good reason to have a static IP is that's it's your's. It doesn't change every time you reboot your router.

Angus Black

Did you miss my last post? We may have posted at the same time.

Nope, I was thinking and reading.

I'm not sure if your 103 IP is causing the same problem as the 100 IPs mentioned in the Plex thread.

Edited by Angus Black

crusher11

Nope, I was thinking and reading.

Fair enough.

Is there any way around it other than paying MyRepublic, if that does indeed turn out to be the issue?

Angus Black

I don't think so. Not if it's the same problem they were talking about.

It's kind of like MyRepublic is their own network that the world can't access. The same way the world can't (technically) acess the network in your home without you opening the door (port).

maegibbons

I don't think so. Not if it's the same problem they were talking about.

It's kind of like MyRepublic is their own network that the world can't access. The same way the world can't (technically) acess the network in your home without you opening the door (port).

Possibly more expensive than renting a static from his ISP, but he could get a Static IP VPN to run his emby server through,

Krs

Mark

crusher11

It would appear to be your provider.

https://myrepublic.net/sg/add-ons/static-ip/

If only they offered that option in Australia...

Possibly more expensive than renting a static from his ISP, but he could get a Static IP VPN to run his emby server through,

Krs

Mark

How would I go about doing that? A quick Google of 'static ip vpn' shows results that vary from 'slightly cheaper' to 'significantly cheaper' than a static IP from my ISP.

EODCrafter

If only they offered that option in Australia...

How would I go about doing that? A quick Google of 'static ip vpn' shows results that vary from 'slightly cheaper' to 'significantly cheaper' than a static IP from my ISP.

You could always Rent a server or use a free year of (Google Cloud Platform) or (Microsoft Azure) and play around with the Server like this.

• 4 months later...
Sneakers4Sneakin

Before I run off and purchase a static IP from MyRepublic, has it been confirmed that this is the cause of the issue? 

I seem to be in the same boat as crusher11

My steps so far.

1. enabling rules in windows firewall for port 8096

2. Using UPNP to automap port forwarding rules. I also tried turning this feature off and set the rules manually. No difference in results.

3. Checked results on canyouseeme and a external network with no joy.

Everything seems to be set up correctly. my eternal IP also starts with with 103 as crusher11 does also.

Sneakers4Sneakin

I got impatient... I had to try fix it.

For anyone else experiencing the same issues. Assigning a static IP through myrepublic has fixed the issue entirely  ^_^

• Like 1

So if that's the answer then that would suggest that the wrong ip address was being used to try and connect. Most likely you were connecting with one ip address, then your server ip address changed and the apps did not get the new value.

• Solution
Sneakers4Sneakin

After searching other forums the issue seems to be with the ISP, Myrepublic use a carrier grade NAT that seems to screw with any config or setup with emby remote services. So in this case I would suggest it is neither related to the app nor user side config but rather a specific issue related to MyRepublic ISP customers.  

Edited by Sneakers4Sneakin
  • Like 2

crusher11

A static IP is a monthly cost, rather than a one-off payment, so I didn't end up pursuing it.