Renaming Audio Tracks

KumarjitDey

ginjaninja

Could there be an option to rename these tracks to say "English" or "Spanish"

5c6252b73ff90_254BFC5AAA9C49FA943DE8A467

in the mean time are you aware you can identify properly in the underlying filesystem eg use mkvtoolnix to allocate language on mkv tracks or add country code to external subtitle files..i assume tools exist for other file formats. this would be more robust in any case.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It's possible, yes, but it would be better to update your files.

Why? because when we direct play sometimes we get track information directly from the video player.

KumarjitDey

It's possible, yes, but it would be better to update your files.

Why? because when we direct play sometimes we get track information directly from the video player.

okay. Can You please recommend me some free softwares with which I can update the audio track names for mp4, mkv files 

Deathsquirrel

okay. Can You please recommend me some free softwares with which I can update the audio track names for mp4, mkv files 

MKVToolnix does this.

I haven't used the tool in a long time so I don't remember. But hopefully it can do this just by updating the headers.

KumarjitDey

Okay I just now used the mkvtoolnix software. The name of the audio got changed successfully from Undetermined to English, but the problem is those other texts "AAC setero default" still appears, when I don't want them to. I want the name of the audio to be, simply, "English", which doesn't seem possible. So you see, if there was a built-in feature in Emby that could allow to change audio name, it would be very helpful.

5c63a32721ae7_9D9782D592E449EBB25845926E

5c63a31681688_898CC65750414B7CA9CB54CB82

Edited by KumarjitDey

ginjaninja

does the conversion take a lot of time?

i think there are two ways of doing this, one is to remux the entire file (long time) - as per your screenshot, the other is to use one of the sub tools which just changes the tags (i think), but i forget what that sub tool is called.

the commandline tool is https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvpropedit.html

every audio track has codec and channels 'technical data' which probably wont be going away (other users like theses)

i guess you are asking for an additional "audio track title" field to be added to the database schema, and when populated, show in preference to the underlying technical data?

Could be useful not just for eg "English" but also for eg "Directors Commentary"

maybe couched in these terms it broadens the appeal of the feature request if i am barking up the right tree..

found this while searching..has some info on mp4 property edits

https://forums.plex.tv/t/renaming-audio-tracks/76531/11

crusher11

Yes, it would be useful for commentaries or different mixes that are the same layout/codec.

Emby used to read that metadata but they disabled the feature for some reason.

• 3 years later...
Peoria Tom

Re: assigning language conventions to the audio/sub track of a video file with MKV Tooknix....for an  ~2Gb size video file, the remux time is about 3 minutes.  A 12 Gb sized video takes about 7 minutes to complete.

Re: assigning text to the names of audio tracks on movies, I too would love it if the name of the track (as an example "Audio commentary with director Penelope Spheeris") would show up on my Roku in the choices for Audio.

I am still open to learning how to see that happen for Emby.

Tom

Peoria Tom

Solved

On 6/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, RaptorCentauri said:

What you are looking for is on the server-side. Library -> Advanced -> Embedded Track Title Display -> Prefer Embedded Titles

Dayum, youse gize are guud!

Tom

seanbuff
12 minutes ago, Peoria Tom said:

Re: assigning language conventions to the audio/sub track of a video file with MKV Tooknix....for an  ~2Gb size video file, the remux time is about 3 minutes.  A 12 Gb sized video takes about 7 minutes to complete.

FYI - Changing language or the title of a track does not require a remux, only an update of the headers. It should only take seconds using either 'mkvpropedit' or Header editor in the GUI of MKVtoolnix.

• Agree 2