Reading and writing of nfo for multi-part episodes is wrong

pünktchen

invader

I don't want to get too premature and excited.... but I think this is fixed!

@GrimReaper76 I have 2 shows using the Kodi NFO standard for multi part episodes and they are displaying correctly all of a sudden in Emby!

PS the reason I was poking around is because I had a whole bunch of shows that didn't show seasons when I navigated to the show. After a few tests, the easiest thing to do was move all the folders on my file system, refresh the library x2 (I did it once, and the shows were still coming up in searches, so I did it again). Then everything was back and it still retained watched status which is great. Then I checked some multi part episodes and they're perfecto!

Fingers crossed for you.

OK one issue is that it only displays the title of the first episode. Minor issue. I'll check Trakt behaviour in the days to come.

image.thumb.png.1863fa92d5e381d0d5015dce7454f0e5.png

Edited by invader

GrimReaper

I'm glad for you, thumbs up. 

Don't know which version of the server you're running, are you on beta or stable, but up to current 4.6.4.0 stable I've tried every possible combination, permutation and whatnot - no joy. 

They say "Patience is a virtue". I suppose I ain't virtuous enough. 🙄

invader

Hi there.

I'm on stable 4.6.4.0.

Media filename:
Rocko's Modern Life (1992) - S01E01E02 - No Pain, No Gain & Who Gives a Buck-480p.x264.AC3

NFO:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!--created on 2020-10-01 09:03:36 - tinyMediaManager 3.1.9-->
<episodedetails>
  <title>No Pain, No Gain</title>
  <originaltitle/>
  <showtitle>Rocko's Modern Life</showtitle>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <displayseason>-1</displayseason>
  <displayepisode>-1</displayepisode>
  <id>177415</id>
  <uniqueid default="true" type="tvdb">177415</uniqueid>
  <rating>9.3</rating>
  <userrating>0.0</userrating>
  <votes>180</votes>
  <plot>Rocko and Heffer join a health club in hopes of losing a few of those unsightly pounds.</plot>
  <runtime>11</runtime>
  <thumb>https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/75729/177415.jpg</thumb>
  <mpaa/>
  <premiered>1993-09-18</premiered>
  <aired>1993-09-18</aired>
  <watched>false</watched>
  <playcount/>
  <studio>Nickelodeon</studio>
  <credits>Don Spencer</credits>
  <credits>Jeff Myers</credits>
  <credits>Kevin O'Brien</credits>
  <credits>Martin Olsen</credits>
  <credits>Roger Chiasson</credits>
  <credits>Vince Calandra</credits>
  <director>Don Spencer</director>
  <director>Roger Chiasson</director>
  <director>Timothy Berglund</director>
  <actor>
    <name>Linda Wallem</name>
    <role/>
    <thumb/>
    <profile/>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Richard Simmons</name>
    <role/>
    <thumb/>
    <profile/>
  </actor>
  <trailer/>
  <dateadded>2020-10-01 09:02:14</dateadded>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <codec>h264</codec>
        <aspect>1.56</aspect>
        <width>720</width>
        <height>480</height>
        <durationinseconds>1410</durationinseconds>
        <stereomode/>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <codec>AC3</codec>
        <language/>
        <channels>2</channels>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
  <!--tinyMediaManager meta data-->
  <source>UNKNOWN</source>
  <original_filename>Rocko's Modern Life (1992) - S01E01E02 - No Pain, No Gain &amp; Who Gives a Buck-480p.x264.AC3.mkv</original_filename>
  <user_note/>
</episodedetails>
<episodedetails>
  <title>Who Gives a Buck?</title>
  <originaltitle/>
  <showtitle>Rocko's Modern Life</showtitle>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>2</episode>
  <displayseason>-1</displayseason>
  <displayepisode>-1</displayepisode>
  <id>2603551</id>
  <uniqueid default="true" type="tvdb">2603551</uniqueid>
  <rating>8.0</rating>
  <userrating>0.0</userrating>
  <votes>120</votes>
  <plot>Rocko gets his very own credit card, and Heffer convinces him to go on a spending spree at the mall.</plot>
  <runtime>11</runtime>
  <thumb>https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/75729/2603551.jpg</thumb>
  <mpaa/>
  <premiered>1993-09-18</premiered>
  <aired>1993-09-18</aired>
  <watched>false</watched>
  <playcount/>
  <studio>Nickelodeon</studio>
  <credits>Don Spencer</credits>
  <credits>Jeff Myers</credits>
  <credits>Kevin O'Brien</credits>
  <credits>Martin Olsen</credits>
  <credits>Roger Chiasson</credits>
  <credits>Vince Calandra</credits>
  <director>Don Spencer</director>
  <director>Roger Chiasson</director>
  <director>Timothy Berglund</director>
  <actor>
    <name>Linda Wallem</name>
    <role/>
    <thumb/>
    <profile/>
  </actor>
  <actor>
    <name>Richard Simmons</name>
    <role/>
    <thumb/>
    <profile/>
  </actor>
  <trailer/>
  <dateadded>2020-10-01 09:02:14</dateadded>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video>
        <codec>h264</codec>
        <aspect>1.56</aspect>
        <width>720</width>
        <height>480</height>
        <durationinseconds>1410</durationinseconds>
        <stereomode/>
      </video>
      <audio>
        <codec>AC3</codec>
        <language/>
        <channels>2</channels>
      </audio>
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
  <!--tinyMediaManager meta data-->
  <source>UNKNOWN</source>
  <original_filename>Rocko's Modern Life (1992) - S01E01E02 - No Pain, No Gain &amp; Who Gives a Buck-480p.x264.AC3.mkv</original_filename>
  <user_note/>
</episodedetails>

Hopefully this works for you too.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, invader said:

Hopefully this works for you too.

It doesn't. I have same structured nfos written by TMM 4.1.6. They don't come up. Never had.

GrimReaper
19 hours ago, invader said:

@GrimReaper76

OK one issue is that it only displays the title of the first episode. Minor issue. I'll check Trakt behaviour in the days to come. 

image.thumb.png.1863fa92d5e381d0d5015dce7454f0e5.png

It doesn't display neither the title nor the synopsis of the second episode. I'd say it still ain't reading that nfo in full / concatenating. Where is that "1-2" coming off - have no idea.

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

It doesn't display neither the title nor the synopsis of the second episode. I'd say it still ain't reading that nfo in full / concatenating. Where is that "1-2" coming off - have no idea.

Was just going to say the same.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

From a read only standpoint of that nfo file above only episode 1 is recognized (title and overview).  Now enabling providers in Emby will recognized naming scheme and show 1-2 but still only show episode 1 title and overview.

@invaderWhat library options do you have enabled on the library?

invader

Here are the library settings. Come to think of it, maybe I ticked more episode metadata than I used ages ago. This could have been the fix!

Also I tested Trakt and it works too. If I play an episode it marks both as watched in Trakt.

image.thumb.png.aaf0f7dc0c2f4671d5bf8a4def189699.png

GrimReaper

But why do you scrape items externally via TMM if you have all internal meta-providers enabled? You can just as well disable nfo reader on your Libraries then, and let Emby do the work, you'll get all those titles and synopses correct and shown. 

invader

I am under the assumption that Emby will prioritise whatever is in the NFO. So I pick the correct movie in TMM, pick the poster, get subtitles etc. Then Emby only uses the other providers for things missing like actors images, collection info/art etc. 

I could be wrong but this seems to be the best setup for me. Many years ago I used Kodi to do everything however after moving to Plex, then later Emby, I realised it was much better to do the work in TMM and have it stored in NFOs and the movie folder so I could move to any media centre or use multiple and I wouldn’t need to correct things again. Then finally, as it seemed at the time, not everything would import into Emby, I use their scrapers as a backup.

GrimReaper

With meta-providers enabled, that is how it should - and generally does - work, Emby filling the blanks. For Movies, it's a done deal, for TV Shows, it's almost there, this particular issue being one of the outstanding ones - it can't fill the missing info since it ain't "missing", as you supplied it via nfo. But regardless of the nfo present, Emby will happily read all your local artwork, subs etc., nfo ain't a prerequsite there. Given proper folder structure/naming, Emby will very seldom mis-identify an item and subsequently scrape incorrect metadata. As I see it, if you want this sorted NOW, as opposed to waiting for like-this-formatted nfo to be supported, there are two ways to approach it:

1. (IMHO wiser) Disable nfo metadata reader and let Emby do the legwork; this way you'll still have all your nfos intact and all metadata in Emby available and correctly presented

2. (Untested) Provide limited-info nfo, i.e. don't scrape all tags in TMM but a desired selection (example: no <title>, no <season>, no <episode>, no <plot>), and let Emby fill the blanks (which theoretically it should). 

Edit: For reference, in my particular setup, all internal meta-providers are disabled, my libraries are run strictly nfo-only, as I'm a control-freak. Aside the fact that my OCD goes ballistic in ever-increasing frequency intervals. 🙄

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

• 3 weeks later...
invader

Annnnnnnnd I have no idea what changed, but I can't replicate the "fix" anymore. My scraper settings in Emby haven't changed, now it doesn't recognise multi episode files again. Trying a different approach. TinyMediaManager now has a setting to create "Emby" specific NFOs. This isn't working for multi episode files from what I can tell. I'm going to reach out to them to see if it can.

GrimReaper
Just now, invader said:

Annnnnnnnd I have no idea what changed, but I can't replicate the "fix" anymore. My scraper settings in Emby haven't changed, now it doesn't recognise multi episode files again. Trying a different approach. TinyMediaManager now has a setting to create "Emby" specific NFOs. This isn't working for multi episode files from what I can tell. I'm going to reach out to them to see if it can.

I'm already on it, trying to push-pull 'em to get it written, no joy yet. 

https://gitlab.com/tinyMediaManager/tinyMediaManager/-/issues/1444

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

The missing extra titles and descriptions are restored for the next release of that server.

Oh, that would be sweet. Thanks. 

Please note, it's not an overhaul to multi episode nfo writing.

It's just making sure that features that are currently specific to tvdb are applied no matter what fetchers are used.

invader
1 minute ago, Luke said:

It's just making sure that features that are currently specific to tvdb are applied no matter what fetchers are used.

A huh. Hmmm. So will it read a sidecar .nfo using multi episode formats that Kodi / TMM write?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Luke said:

I was hoping for an overhaul of multi-episode nfo reading? 

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you're referring to the issue with multi-episodes scraped from TMDB - that wouldn't be applicable in this thread. 

• 10 months later...
VirulentPip

Did this ever become a thing? Found this thread while trying to figure out if possible to have it show

1-2 Boara Boara - Saskatchewan Catch

On a tropical island, Timon and Pumbaa run into The Three Natives who make Pumbaa their god-king and try to kill Timon for intending to "abduct" him. Timon & Pumbaa help a female flying squirrel find love in return for her fetching them some Saskatchewan tree beetles.

image.png.779baade040dd3b0b81276392b0abf02.png