Various Music Artists Folder Structure

ghostquito

ghostquito

I'm struggling to find a way to organize various artists inside emby.

1) Flat music folder doesn't find artist images or other online metadata, only when i choose a folder above the folder with my music it does work.. This should be updated on the wiki page.

2) Currently i have i have Music -> Various Artists -> $year -> $songs, i want emby to treat the year's as albums, and it does.. But it tries and grabmeta data for the album by searching some random song in the album. Folder view does the same thing, and that doesn't make any sense as folder should just be the folder and no metadata

Hi, if you want the years to be treated as albums then you'll probably want to turn off internet metadata features for that emby library.

skidmarks

I have a folder of random various "junk" that has almost 2000 songs in it (maybe there is a hidden treasure in there, but it is mostly ignored).  I just grabbed 10 songs out of it and made a 2019 directory and put them in it.  Emby recognized the new folder and added it with a cover i put in there with them.  It is showing up like any other album that i put in.

Are you looking for it to be scraped and individual artists images to be added?  Dont think that is possible.  It's a various artist folder.

What i would question is did you add the year folders like an album?  What i mean by that did you edit the metadata (externally, i use mp3tag)? Or is there a hodgepodge of metadata in these folders?

It will be a real mess it you just add random songs from random albums in the same directory with out cleaning up the metadata for the songs first.  I treat all random folders i create just like an album.  What i mean is i externally clean, using mp3tag, any folder i am adding.  Song Title and Artist are different, but thats it.  Album name (the year in this case) / the actual year / and album artist (Various Artists) should all be the same (for every file in that folder).  Add a folder image and that should give you a nice album being displayed in emby.

Sounds like a pain, but no issues with any generic music folders in emby in my set up.  And with mp3tag it takes seconds to do.

I am not certain if this even comes close to helping answer the original question...  but this was what i read into it.

Good luck!

Edited by skidmarks