Computer Reboot seems to roll Emby back to previous version

aslaksonal

aslaksonal

Strange. After the 4.0 server update, twice now the server software has rolled back to the previous version. And it seems to be hitting the database differently - the "next up" episodes are different, and the "played" flags seem to be also. A restart of the server brings it back to 4.0.1 again. Not sure, but it may be related to a reboot of the server computer. Any thoughts on what's happening and/or how to resolve it?

Thanks

al

awdspyder

Sounds to me like you might have two instances installed.

Yup - I'll assume you're on Windows.  Make sure you are logged into the same user profile that was used to install the server initially whenever you perform an upgrade.  Since the server is essentially installed to "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server" (unless this has changed recently), you'll need be sure to always log in as that user (Don't love this BTW - it's a server, nothing should be in a user profile. That's what C:\Program Files is for.).

Edited by awdspyder

Another way of confirming this is to check the server dashboard paths section before and after. This will show you the locations of the two installations.

aslaksonal

There were two instances of Server running - two different users. Plus, the respective databases seem to have gotten mixed. Stuff was being written to each of them. Uninstalled both, made a full copy of all the databases (just to be safe), deleted the originals, and started over. Now two days into the reload, and it's going well. Thanks for the suggestion.

al

awdspyder

Hey Luke,

It's been almost 4 years since my initial server install on Windows Server 2012 R2 (a testament to how stable Emby is), so I honestly don't remember, but is there any way to default (or force) the stuff that's in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming to something like C:\Program Files or similar?  Can you educate me on the thought process behind electing to default everything to path within a user profile?

Like aslaksonal, I learned this the hard way years ago, and was just trying to think of a scenario to mitigate the dependency on a particular user.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by awdspyder

You're not going to be able to move it to program files easily because that will prevent the server from having write access to the location. I would suggest just leaving it where it is.

rhodges

What about the ProgramData folder? Does it have all the restrictions that Program Files have?

Edited by rhodges

You could try setting up a portable install there. In the past we also had similar issues with that, but it could be re-evaluated.

awdspyder

You're not going to be able to move it to program files easily because that will prevent the server from having write access to the location. I would suggest just leaving it where it is.

Does this hold true even when the application is run a Windows Service using a service account that is a local admin (or even Domain Admin for testing purposes)?

Yes i would think so but you'll have to try it. Typically writing to program files requires elevation, in other words, the windows UAC dialog box to approve it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CaptainNick

As a new user  to Emby and currently evaluating it, I also find the install location as very odd and it looks like a bit of a bodge! :unsure: There's a reason why Program Files and ProgramData exist and their permissions are set as such.

"%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System" Should be "%ProgramFiles%\Emby-Server" as this data is your program installation and the data is static.

"%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ProgramData" Should be "%ProgramData%\Emby-Server" as this is the dynamic program data.

"%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Emby-InstallLogs" Should be "%Temp%\Emby-InstallLogs" as it only temporary and would be tidier.

As this is a server application, console access should not be required and should not run with user credentials. It should run as a Windows Service as it's own process which could then use the Local System or Network Service cccounts. Servers are routinely not logged in and are often headless or virtual so this configuration would be more secure and start correctly before login. This is all standard Windows installation stuff so I am surprised to see it in a user profile.

Hi, welcome and thanks for the feedback. There are challenges with program files and programdata and that is why we don't use them. Rather than rehash there are existing topics about this in the community. @@Happy2Play may know of some. Thanks.