Next up misbehavior

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I know I posted about this before but I cannot find that post:

When playing from "Next Up" the interface returns to the wrong place.

I will try to explain in such a way as to make it clear what happens

I will call the position in Next up 1, 2, etc. and the shows A, B, C etc.

Before any playback

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ]  [ 10]
[ A ]  [ B ]  [ C ]  [ D ]  [ E ]  [ F ]  [ G ]  [ H ]  [ I ]
Selection at                         ||

After playing an episode of show [ F ] from position [ 6 ]
we have the following:

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ]  [ 10]
[ F ]  [ A ]  [ B ]  [ C ]  [ D ]  [ E ]  [ G ]  [ H ]  [ I ]
Selection at                  ||

That is the played show correctly moves to position [ 1 ] BUT the current selection does not remain at position [ 6 ] but rater it moves one step back to position [ 5 ]

This means that of you want to play the first six shows in rotation you must press the right arrow after each play to maintain the correct position in the "Next up" list.

This is not the behavior I see on my Rokus and I do not think the Android behavior is correct at all.

I hope I have reported what is wrong in a clear manner.

Thanks.

What device is this on?

All of my devices will put you back at position 1 - which is the next episode of the show you just played.

Gilgamesh_48

What device is this on?

All of my devices will put you back at position 1 - which is the next episode of the show you just played.

It is on my Shield TV and on my Fire TV. I "thought" I said that in the original post but clearly I did not, sorry.

In Next up after playing a show from a position other than one you should never ever be returned to position one. Unless maybe when you have automatically play next episode turned on, which I NEVER have on. I detest any "automatic" playing options.

CBers

Been reported many times before.

Here is the latest report, prior to yours.

@@ebr Anyway of staying at the same position in a particular row when it is refreshed?

Just marked a movie as WATCHED which was at position 15 in the Latest Movies row, but when it refreshed, I was back at position 1.

This is so damn annoying and I'm sure others have mentioned it in the past.

That item was no longer in that row at that point, correct?

This is one of those coin flip situations.  Some people will like it how it is now and others won't.  Therefore, it just isn't something I'm working on to change right at this moment.

Yes.

I'm sure people would prefer to stay where they are rather than get shunted to the beginning of the row.

It isn't intuitive as to what's happened and why.

The position needs to stay where you are, not jump back to position 1.

• Like 1

The position needs to stay where you are, not jump back to position 1.

"Staying where you are" is a relative term.

In my mind, it does just that.  I was on a particular series when I left the row and I'm still on the series when I come back to it.

I understand that's not how you want it to work but it is a very valid perspective.

CBers

"Staying where you are" is a relative term.

In my mind, it does just that.  I was on a particular series when I left the row and I'm still on the series when I come back to it.

I understand that's not how you want it to work but it is a very valid perspective.

Nothing relative about it.

No matter what you do, you end up back in position 1.

It needs fixing, or at least an option added so that any type of refresh stops it from happening and you stay in the position you were.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

The assumption that after I play an episode from a series I want to play another episode from the same series has some validity BUT it is almost never valid for me. I think if "auto play next episode" is on then it is has a greater validity but if "auto play next episode" is off then there is almost no justification for that assumption.

It is only in very rare cases that I want to play two episodes from the same show in order. I also almost never "binge" watch and if I do it is no real problem to move one time to position one after I play the first episode of the "binge." It is easier to do that than it is to constantly have to move back to, as in the example, position six to watch as I normally do.

Look at the behavior in the Roku app. There it is done correctly. In the Android app with "auto play next off" is simply wrong. I do not see any justification for returning to position one if the auto play next is off. By turning that off one thing I say is that I do NOT want to plat episodes from the same series back to back.

If that setting is not clear enough then a separate setting "Retain current position after playback" should be available. However, I think turning auto play off is plenty clear enough.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

This just comes down to the difference in the way the two platforms behave when you completely re-load a list.  Both behaviors are valid in their own right and it just isn't a big enough issue to have made it to the top of the list to try and force a different behavior.

Thanks.

CBers

it just isn't a big enough issue to have made it to the top of the list

Can you tell us what the list consists of and what fixes you will be remedying in this beta cycle please?

Once all of the issues are fixed, can we then get some of the Feature Requests reviewed please :)