More view options on Android TV app?

TheRenegade

TheRenegade

Hey all! So pretty new hear, I have only really recently gotten into using Emby, came up as I was moving from a Drobo NAS to a unraid server and emby running to maintain my library was suggested.

So far I love it...but only the server side.. I like how it integrates with Kodi in order to keep my library up to date and watched  status over multiple users, etc. However.....

I tried the newest version of the Android TV app as I have a Nvidia Shield. I like how fast and responsive it is (nicer than Kodi for sure), however I can't get past the lack of customisation options skin/layout wise compared to Kodi. Now obviously they aren't going to straight up open it to user made skins etc. But is there any chance that in the future they are going to have more layout options available? I LOVE these style layouts that a lot of Kodi skins have. And really if Emby had something like that I would basically instantly grab the premiere license, but as I am sure all of you would understand you can't beat free when your layouts are there...

Is there a chance that they might have more layouts in the near future? it somewhat makes sense to have options out there for potential customers...

CBers

There are themes that are included in the app (Settings, Display, Themes), but there is no real customisation at present.

arrbee99

It would certainly be nice to have stuff like that as part of Emby, but I don't know if or when as you can already have Kodi (with its skins) on the Shield linked to the Emby server anyway.

Think I would quite like a Theater horizontal home screen as an option for the Android app though...

CBers

Think I would quite like a Theater horizontal home screen as an option for the Android app though...

Android, or Android TV, as that is already horizontal.

Hi.  The example you pointed to is actually almost this exact layout (although ours looks less like it is from 2008 ;)):

5c5c95a76f0e0_newbrowse.png

• Like 1

TheRenegade

It would certainly be nice to have stuff like that as part of Emby, but I don't know if or when as you can already have Kodi (with its skins) on the Shield linked to the Emby server anyway.

Yeah, I am currently using Emby as a docker on my unraid server and have it then force update the Kodi database. I like it, but I find that Emby quite often takes almost a minute to load the user login prompt and takes a bit to actually start playing a video. I can live with that, but I figured I would try the Emby app on my shield, and I feel it is more responsive. Which makes sense, as it's not running through Kodi. But I LOVE the skins in Kodi...

Hi.  The example you pointed to is actually almost this exact layout (although ours looks less like it is from 2008 ;)):

But is there a way to get that as my view on All rather than just Suggestions? I would prefer the 3D box art, but I can easily trade that for the year/rating under the art. The Suggestions is a clean look and almost exactly like it.

I'm loving Emby as a back-end currently, but I feel everything would be smoother as a complete solution.

arrbee99

Ah well, all this Docker / Unraid stuff is too advanced for me, I just use the server on a Windows PC and ethernet to Shield and FireTV's. Does sound like its a lot quicker for me though. I do quite like playing with Kodi's skins though I'm going for the (possibly ?) more modern ones, Xperience1080 and Box at the moment.

Making that view more generally available would be nice as well. Its very good and would look great when just scrolling through Movies (and others as well). Hopefully it could be an option. One of the things ebr has being doing recently which I really appreciate is when he (I'm assuming, naughty I know) adds stuff, the older stuff stays put. e.g. when vertical scrolling appeared the horizontal version stayed put and when the Home screen side menu disappeared, its still available as an option.

• Like 1

CBers

At the end of the day, 99.9% of people just want to be able to play their content.

Once content is playing, all the nice images and colours aren't seen anyway :)

• Like 1

TheRenegade

At the end of the day, 99.9% of people just want to be able to play their content.

Once content is playing, all the nice images and colours aren't seen anyway :)

I guess sorry for liking an interface that I find attractive, informative and nice for my family and I browse our collection?

Simple question regarding on if there is potential for an interface style that apparently already exists in the program to be more widely available. I get that once IZ hit play it goes away. But I feel that if I find a certain interface nicer to navigate than another it's fair to be able to ask if that may come down the road. If not, then I guess I will continue to use my free Kodi app and skins.

I guess sorry for liking an interface that I find attractive, informative and nice for my family and I browse our collection?

Simple question regarding on if there is potential for an interface style that apparently already exists in the program to be more widely available. I get that once IZ hit play it goes away. But I feel that if I find a certain interface nicer to navigate than another it's fair to be able to ask if that may come down the road. If not, then I guess I will continue to use my free Kodi app and skins.

When in the larger views (e.g. All Movies) people have overwhelmingly requested full-screen grid views instead of the horizontal view you see above.

It is possible we will introduce more view options in the future.  For instance, I think it would be neat to be able to have an option for a view similar to the above in the vertical grid but it would mean seeing a lot less items at once.

Thanks.

TheRenegade

When in the larger views (e.g. All Movies) people have overwhelmingly requested full-screen grid views instead of the horizontal view you see above.

It is possible we will introduce more view options in the future.  For instance, I think it would be neat to be able to have an option for a view similar to the above in the vertical grid but it would mean seeing a lot less items at once.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice to see more view options, I like a lot of the options that Emby adds, like a quick ability to get to a certain letter of the alphabet, I like when you go into a movie you get the cast and crew right there, "more like this", the TV season view is nice. I get that what I like personally isn't for everyone. Would be nice to see more view options. 

Maybe I will just play around with it. Who knows, maybe I can get used to it. Hopefully more options come up! Even if it's more options similar to the home screen. Just some simple sorting/organisation tweaks.