Roku Emby App Lacking / Flashing Images

bigbruin
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

bigbruin

I have seen this exact issues discussed a few times, and usually it is resolved for those people with a new release of the server app.  Mine was fine until the recent server app update, at which point images on the home screen, on movies menus, and for live TV started flashing and/or just failing to load as others have described and demonstrated.  Things like the primary images for movies, as well as channel logos and show images for live TV in the guide will come and go or perhaps never load.  Additionally the background image will pulse from dark grey to light grey.

My Emby Server (with Premium) is a Synology DiskStation that was working well on 3.x, and when I went to 4.0.1.0 this January the problems started, with Roku only.  The Android app and browser access still work / look great.

I have three Rokus, two of which are hardwired Roku 3's with firmware 9.0 and one of which is a Roku TV connected wirelessly that has firmware 8.2.  They all display the same problems, but the attached server log file is showing some access from just the Roku TV from today.  I browsed some movie folders and the TV guide for the server log generation, and almost no images loaded today.

I have tried some other stuff previously, and nothing seems to help me, so I am now back on a fairly generic install of the server.  I have tried:

• I tried the Emby Beta app and then went back to the release version
  • I allowed .nfo files and images to be stored in the folder with my files
  • Tried various transcoding settings
  • Tried various DLNA settings
  • Disabled background images, themes, etc
  • I know there is more

Thanks!  Let me know if you need more info to help me get to the bottom of this.

embyserver.txt

Edited by bigbruin

Hi.  As discussed in those other threads, this is a problem with your server not having an image processing library to allow it to re-size images so it is sending full sized ones to the app and the Roku simply cannot handle that.

I don't see a load failure for the image processor in your log but there isn't one loaded.

I'm going to move this to Synology for targeted help.

Thanks.

bigbruin

OK, I will restart later when I am home so I can turn on the Roku and browse around a bit.

I have seen the responses previously about it being related to the server's image processing library, but how does one go about addressing that?  I can't find steps on that.  Nothing on the DiskStation has been changed recently other than the Emby Server upgrade - which was working fine up until about that time.  So, it seems that either it did have a fully functional image processing library and now does not, or the way the image processing library is being used now has changed.

I'll be back later with a new log file - thanks.

bigbruin

Here is another server log file - this time cleared the log and rebooted before starting to browse Emby from the Roku TV.

And some pictures of what I saw while generating the use in the log.  Images come and go, and in general the screen looks unpopulated.

Thanks.

wp.jpg  xp.jpg  yp.jpg

embyserver.txt

bigbruin

In case it was of interest - this is a real speed view of how dynamic the flickering is on Roku only (the GIF loops after 7 seconds)...

iArl4Er.gif

And for reference, the same page looks about like this for me in Emby Theater, a browser, or the Android app...

Bp.jpg

Edited by bigbruin

bigbruin

Sure, thanks...

DS1515 with 4GB of memory and 5x 4TB drives and DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.

sendlogs_D5_synology_alpine_ds1515_20190210T214853UTC.tgz 

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

I'm making progress on this with @@bigbruin.

However, if anybody else is having this issue, then get in touch here.

It will help with validating the 'fix'.

Best

- James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

We've got to the bottom of this and have successfully tested the fix with the latest stable and on the current beta programme.

Depending on timing, this will most likely roll-out with the next stable release, rather than publishing an interim refresh.

A big thanks to @@bigbruin for helping on this and working through the various test scenarios / updates.

Best

- James

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
solabc16

Hello @@bigbruin, All

FYI, this fix was included in the recently released 4.0.3.0 update for Synology/XPEnology.

Let us know how you get on...

Best

- James

• Like 1