Unable to Connect to Server with Nvidia Shield

KalEl770
Go to solution Solved by KalEl770,

KalEl770

I have Emby loaded on a laptop as my server. I downloaded the app on my shield and attempted to connect. I entered the code on the website to authorize the shield but I am routed to a screen where I have to enter the IP address of the server. I do that, but a connection can not be established. I have opened the ports thru control panel, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but still no success. My other client is an XBox One but I haven't tried that yet.

• Solution
KalEl770

Thank you. I followed the instructions and realized it was a firewall issue. I changed the firewall settings and I am now able to connect. I appreciate the help.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
sirchewie

Hi there, I've been trying for weeks now to try and get my Shield to link up to my PC, but no luck. I've tried adding the port into my firewall.

I just uninstalled Emby server and reinstalled it. Now I get this message when I try to connect manually.

Any ideas what's going on?

5eaae8434cd4d_20200430_155316.jpg

Something appears to be interfering somehow. What is the version of the app and the server?

sirchewie

I also uninstalled/Reinstalled app on my Shield. I still get same error message.

Server version 4.4.2.0

App version: 1.7.92g

gregsywegsy

So, I uninstalled Emby Server completely from my PC, I then reinstalled it and added a brand new username/password. I then uninstalled it completely from my Shield. But when I installed it and opened the app, the error message appeared immediately, and also the PC server was showing. Surely if I uninstalled it completely, nothing should be appearing? 

Is there a way I can completely clear Emby from the Shield? Is it storing old log files?

The app can discover your server automatically on your network. I think that is why you still saw it as a selection.

Did you try disabling the AV software?

• 2 weeks later...
gregsywegsy

I tried disabling the AV software but I still get that same error message on my Shield. Nothing works! 

I can use Emby on my phone and play content from the server no problem. 

Edited by gregsywegsy

gregsywegsy

This morning I tried app again on the Shield, but this time I wasn't getting that error message. But when I clicked on the server icon, it said Wake, remove and Cancel. I tried to Wake it but it wouldn't work.

This morning I tried app again on the Shield, but this time I wasn't getting that error message. But when I clicked on the server icon, it said Wake, remove and Cancel. I tried to Wake it but it wouldn't work.

Was your Emby Server running at the time?

gregsywegsy

Was your Emby Server running at the time?

Actually, no it wasn't! I didn't realise, but my server PC had crashed. 

I checked it again this morning on the Shield, and it's back to the same error message. 

@@cayars

Wow almost skipped this thread since it was marked with a best answer.

You should start a new thread vs jumping into one already marked like this.

Anyway, I didn't see an error message that you posted.  Can you point to the message that has the error in question or is it the same as #7 post?

gregsywegsy

Wow almost skipped this thread since it was marked with a best answer.

You should start a new thread vs jumping into one already marked like this.

Anyway, I didn't see an error message that you posted.  Can you point to the message that has the error in question or is it the same as #7 post?

Hi, yes, it's the same error as in Post 7.  As soon as I open the Emby app on my Shield, this error message appears at the bottom of the screen. 

java.lang.illegalStateException: expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

Edited by gregsywegsy

Hi, yes, it's the same error as in Post 7.  As soon as I open the Emby app on my Shield, this error message appears at the bottom of the screen. 

java.lang.illegalStateException: expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

That usually means that something in the network path is altering the data being passed between server and app.  Any proxy or security software in play?

gregsywegsy

That usually means that something in the network path is altering the data being passed between server and app.  Any proxy or security software in play?

No. As I mentioned, I turned off my AV protection and still the same error appeared.

As a test yesterday I installed Emby server on my work laptop and was able to get access via Shield. Then I went back in later and suddenly it just kept crashing out of the app and back to home screen whenever I clicked on the laptop server.

I wasn't getting the error, but when I tried to click on my main server, it just kept asking me if I wanted to wake it, but didn't work either. 

If it's asking you to wake up the server it means it can't communicate with it.  Try and forget the server, exit then start the app again and let it search your network.

With DHCP on your server it could have changed IP addresses.