General Feedback - v1.4.0

Nipa84

Well, well, well. The new video player has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons for me. 

Historically have always used XMBC/Kodi. Recently that was done on SBCs like the Pi and C2. However the end goal was always having one box to do it all local content, streaming services and casting (preferably AirPlay). And with MrMC the Apple TV became that box. I much preferred the Emby app UI, but the functionality of MrMC v3.7 was a cut above. Mainly because my N54L HP micro server doesn't have the grunt to transcode well, so I turn it off on the Emby server completely and MrMC chewed through all my files no issues. Also some of the clever remote control tricks they've added.

I've been trying to use use the new Emby app on my Apple TV 4 (non-4K) since release and these are the things I miss from MrMC or general issues I've hit (I imagine some are just teething that come with the new player):

- Biggest thing, I miss the ability to quickly enable/disable subtitles (in MrMC you can triple tap, not click, the touch surface of the Siri remote to enable/disbale, very intuitive).

- Miss the live thumbnail preview when scrubbing (like default tvOS scrubbing).

- The homescreen shelf is broken (just shows grey placeholder images).

- Miss having the time on the playback bar (in MrMC when you pause it shows the current time on the left of the bar and the finish time for the current video on the right).

And that is it. I've always loved the app UI. The new playback engine is great and plays all my HEVC videos with direct playback. As the app was designed to work directly with Emby server server changes are reflected in the client instantly, which is nice (not the case with MrMC). I'm going to go back to MrMC just for the subtitle feature which is a shame as nearly everything else has been better in Emby.

Looking forward to the next few releases. 

Great work. Thank you.

Dts works for you?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

DTS will be converted to DD on the server.

Understood, I turned off all transcoding, that will be why is not working through Emby, but works through MrMC.

sfatula

Can I ask why it doesn't direct play? Other atv players play dts and truehd.

By the way, kudos as the app now plays avi files if I'm correct. I'll test playing dts files with audio only conversion and test the server loads. Very good effort I think.

By the way, kudos as the app now plays avi files if I'm correct. I'll test playing dts files with audio only conversion and test the server loads. Very good effort I think.

Neither ticking "allow audio playback that requires transcoding" or "allow media playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" fixes DTS playback.

Neither ticking "allow audio playback that requires transcoding" 

That setting would be for pure audio files.

"allow media playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" 

That, I would have expected to work.  Can we see a log of that attempt?