Issue with sound

quinnby95

quinnby95

I am trying to watch my shows on the Emby app for firestick, it shows that I have a 5.1 audio track but just downmixes it to stereo. The option for that is turned off in settings and ONLY does it on tv shows, every movie that I play with 5.1 surround plays perfectly fine. Any ideas?

quinnby95

Just sent the logs through my firestick.

I was playing Star Wars the clone Wars and the user name that sent it was "Quinn & Sarah" @ 5:37pm

Hi.  There should have been an ffmpeg log produced from that playback.  Can we please see that?

Also, it looks like that item has a lot of different audio tracks.  Be sure you've selected the proper one.

quinnby95

I think this is the log file for it here. It does have many different sound profiles but they are all 5.1 and none of them would play through 5.1. I also tried playing my other show The Americans which is 5.1 but that also wouldn't work. Put on Lego Movie which is 5.1 and it worked no problem.

Okay, it looks like these are all 5.1 AAC tracks and the device appears to not natively support that (although, based on docs, it seems it should) so it is being mixed down.

What exact model of Fire Stick is this?

Its weird that its saying that because the movies played fine in 5.1 and up until earlier yesterday that same series played fine in 5.1

The movies probably have DD or DTS tracks.  Can you confirm that?

quinnby95

The movies have AAC 5.1 as well, I have attached a screen shot with the info on it.

It only down mixes when it being played from the Series folder, everything in movies plays fine. Its incredibly strange, I tried rebooting the server, reinstalling the Firestick app and updating the OS as well, none of it fixed it.

5c5b04a15b714_Capture.jpg

quinnby95

Annoyingly enough I can't find one for it, I even tried playing other shows/movies to create log fies and either I can't find them or they aren't there. I did play around with some of my other series however. This issue ONLY shows up in series that are AAC 5.1, anything that is Dolby 5.1 plays fine. Is there a way to try and update ffmpeg?

The movies are probably direct playing.

But, with the ones you are having an issue with, the audio is being stream copied so should be functionally equivalent...

quinnby95

That was my assumption as well. 

I have done some research and it LOOKS like for some reason sometimes FFMPEG will downmix AAC files to stereo even though their 5.1, however if its AC3 then it will play fine.

I am going to try converting one of the seasons to AC3 and see if that works. According to one of the youtube videos I watched, it just decides to do it at random.