Movie Groups (numbers/ticks)

thor2105

thor2105

Hoping Luke or one of the developers could provide an answer to this one.

Several versions ago, each group that I created had a number in the top right hand corner indicating how many unplayed movies were in the group.  When all movies were played, a tick was displayed, the same as the 'played' tick on an individual movie.  Some time ago, the tick on the group disappeared after one of the updates.  (A group now looks like an unplayed movie until you open it).  Now in version 4, the number being displayed in the corner is also missing.

Are these bugs that will be fixed in the future, or are they the way groups have been designed to work now?  When you had the number on the group indicating how many upplayed movies were left, and then a tick when they were all played, it was very easy to see what movies have been played and what had not.  The way it seems to work now, you have to open the group and have a look to see if they have all been played? 

If this behavior is intentional, could consideration be given to bringing back the numbers/tick on groups.  If there is a reason that this can no longer be 'default behaviour', could a setting/option be added to turn this feature back on in groups if you wanted it.

Currently I'm using emby on a Sony A8F OLED TV (Android 7)

This behavior seems to be the same on my computer and on the TV now.

Edited by thor2105

Hi.  No longer showing the check mark on fully played containers is by design now.  However, it should still show the unplayed number.  Can you please show an example of that not working?

Thanks.

thor2105

Hi.  No longer showing the check mark on fully played containers is by design now.  However, it should still show the unplayed number.  Can you please show an example of that not working?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how not showing the tick on a fully played collection is an improvement, or what the logic behind the change was, as a fully played collection/group now looks like an unplayed movie.  Anyway, if that's how it is now; I guess everyone else is living with it, so I will have to also.

As for the numbers.  Since I upgraded to version 4.0.1 the numbers no longer show for any of the movie collections.  They still show for TV Shows.  All collections have been created manually in the old version 3.  The numbers are missing from the web interface (using Chrome or MS Edge) and from the Sony TV's android interface.

I just created a new collection to see if it was related to importing the collections from the old version, and the new collection has no numbers either. 

What's the best way to show you an example, do you just want a screen shot?

Edited by thor2105

It's a design change we decided on. Users were constantly getting confused over what the counts meant, whether it was unwatched count or total items in the collection. We decided it was best to just remove them. Options are always possible in the future. thanks.

• Like 1

thor2105

It's a design change we decided on. Users were constantly getting confused over what the counts meant, whether it was unwatched count or total items in the collection. We decided it was best to just remove them. Options are always possible in the future. thanks.

Thanks Luke.  I suppose everyone looks at things differently.  I always thought it was clear that the numbers represented unwatched movies and counted down as you watched them, eventually displaying a tick when all were watched.  It must be hard developing a program when everyone wants something different.  I guess you can never fully please everyone unless every option was configurable.  You could always show both, total and unwatched. :)

There's no plan to remove the unwatched count from TV Show series is there?

Edited by thor2105

Happy2Play

Currently from a "Group into Collections" stand point you have no way to know if all items are watched or not without entering the Collection.

Happy2Play

Thanks Luke.  I suppose everyone looks at things differently.  I always thought it was clear that the numbers represented unwatched movies and counted down as you watched them, eventually displaying a tick when all were watched.  It must be hard developing a program when everyone wants something different.  I guess you can never fully please everyone unless every option was configurable.

There's no plan to remove the unwatched count from TV Show series is there?

No there is no plan to remove unwatched count from TV Shows.  Even though there are requests to remove all indicators, that would have to be optional.

thor2105

No there is no plan to remove unwatched count from TV Shows.  Even though there are requests to remove all indicators, that would have to be optional.

Thanks.  Hopefully they might return to movie collection one day as a configurable option, both numbers and ticks.

• 2 weeks later...
shadetree

+1 for the OP. I share my collections with family accounts, this behavior added much more navagation. I told them I thought new server changes are still being debuged :(

thor2105

Even if a tick was displayed on a group, (without the count if that was causing confusion), when all content had been played would be helpful, and would match in well with single movies in the same list that have been played and show a tick.

I guess you must code for the majority, but I'm not sure how others navigate the current setup, particularly when you set groups to display in the list with individual movies?  They must either have very good memories, or maybe they set watched content not to be displayed? (Not an option with multiple people in the household watching movies at different times.)

Edited by thor2105

Not everyone thinks of watched status of a collection so when they see the number they think it's the number of items. Then they click into it and the number doesn't match and they end up thinking there's a bug in the software.

• Like 1

thor2105

Not everyone thinks of watched status of a collection so when they see the number they think it's the number of items. Then they click into it and the number doesn't match and they end up thinking there's a bug in the software.

I understand that the number/count has been removed due to confusion.  I can live with that.  How about just the tick?

Even if only the tick was displayed on a group when all content had been played it would be helpful, and would match in with single movies in the same list that have been played and show a tick. :)

PS. (Thanks for taking the time to consider this request)

Edited by thor2105
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
redaktorn

Hi,

I agree with "thor2015".

Seeing if a collection has, or not has, unplayed items saves a lot of navigation.