Server Unavailable

Experiment626

Experiment626

Hello, 

I am having issues connecting my FireTv to the server on my Mac. In the app it see's the server, however, upon clicking on it it says "Server Unavailable" not sure if theres a setting or something I should be activating to have this work? 

Thanks, 

this isn't a client issue its a server issue I and others have experienced this issue through a web browser and through the Emby Theater app. However that isn't the only part as browsing the server can stall and have to reload page.

Kipperdawn

Hi Luke,

I too am having something similar or I think it is similar. So I have recently set up my emby to be visible from the outside directly (used to use vpn to tunnel in for access). Everything seems to be working fine for all of my devices. I have tested several - web browser phone and tablet. All 3 have no issues accessing emby and streaming from outside of the house.  I went to set up my Dad's shield to connect and for the life of me I couldn't get it to connect (previously it used vpn). I uninstalled the app and reinstalled. I tried typing in the ip. i tried using my fqdn. I tried with https and without. No matter what i tried, it just sat at the server select screen. I tried using emby connect to see if that would make a difference... and though it did allow me to log in and identify the server, it couldn't connect (this makes sense to me though as i think it was trying to use port 8096 which i don't expose outside). Funnier still, i still had kodi with emby connect installed on the shield and that worked fine...

configuration - nvidia shield running emby for android tv (from remote location)

server - uses ports 8096, but port 9595 is what is exposed via router. Router forwards port 9595 to reverse proxy which does ssl termination and then forwards request to emby, on port 8096. 

I guess this could some how be a network issue but that seems very unlikely to me given that my phone works fine from that location using my dad's wifi, my laptop worked fine using his wifi, and kodi with emby connect installed on the shield, worked fine... just the native emby app refused to connect.

thx in advance

kp

yes, all devices accept the certificate but I get stalls and lags intermittently. Seems like some improvements need to be done to handle certs better especially toughs that use stronger encryption. Although all devices are affected it mainly affects web browsers such as Firefox and Chrome. My cert is rsa 4096 the computer that it is running on is an i7-2600k with 32 gig of ram on and SSD. Movies are on a raid array and server app is on the SSD. Cert is on the SSD as well. BtW your troubleshoooter was done years ago. I know the routine.

Edited by jayw654

Kipperdawn

Hi Luke,

For me, i am using let's encrypt via sslforfree to generate my certs. To answer the other question, yes the emby app on my phone and tablet had no issues... it just asked me if i wanted to accept the cert, for which i clicked yes, and everything worked. For the laptops, no issue either but they never asked about accepting the cert. I admit, i never saw the equivalent on the app on the shield... but then not sure i got far enough in the process as it dies right at trying to connect. Having said all that, wouldn't ssl/certs be a given for anyone exposing it to the world and therefore should work on all clients ?

thx in advance

Right the problem is the Android mobile app is the only app that has incorporated that kind of override to accept the ssl cert. On many platforms this isn't even possible which is why we stopped pursuing it. For best results you should use a cert that your devices will trust out of the box.

Kipperdawn

Hi Luke,

I get it now... ok, i will see if i can install my cert on the shield and see if that fixes things... thanks for the guidance.