Help! Emby Server is stuck in "Ready to Transfer" to my Android phone

drsalzman
Go to solution Solved by drsalzman,

matsonjr

Ok, more to report on this...

For the same file that refuses to transfer from the server to the android device, I attempted to transcode a copy for mobile and have it set to save in the same folder next to the original on the server.  It transcoded, but won't copy over onto the server.  

solidsnakex37
9 minutes ago, matsonjr said:

Ok, more to report on this...

For the same file that refuses to transfer from the server to the android device, I attempted to transcode a copy for mobile and have it set to save in the same folder next to the original on the server.  It transcoded, but won't copy over onto the server.  

Do you run emby in docker on unraid? I'm wondering if its specific to this or just an emby problem 

matsonjr
38 minutes ago, solidsnakex37 said:

Do you run emby in docker on unraid? I'm wondering if its specific to this or just an emby problem 

win10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, is the Emby android app open when this happens? Are you connected to the same local network as the server?

solidsnakex37
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, is the Emby android app open when this happens? Are you connected to the same local network as the server?

Hey Luke, 

For me, this happens when the app is open. I've tried to force this a number of ways. On local network, off local network, or connected to local network through a wireguard tunnel. 

1. Open the Android App, select and download an item. 
- Viewing the above item on the admin dashboard shows "Ready to Transfer" as well as in the client app where you initiated the download. 

image.png.d3ec17c5cbf6ba65f8fe670b898c2388.png
2. Open the Android App, then from a local PC choose an item and use 'Download To..' and choose your device. Still "Ready to Transfer". 
- Restarting the app doesn't fix it, going into the item and saving it doesn't start the transfer. 
3. When choosing to download, it makes no difference if you choose Original, or another quality setting. 
4. If you use the "Convert" option first, convert the file to "Mobile", then download this instead, it too is "Ready to Transfer". 

All of the above steps were replicated on the local network, through my proxy, and also outside my local network using a WireGuard Tunnel to my LAN. This was tested on multiple devices such as: 
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+
Samsung A52s

edvinmorales@hotmail.com

This happened to me and i had to reset the phone, now i cant download anything, i did restart the server, the phone, nothing works

MBSki

I'm having the same issue, and the ONLY thing that kind of worked was to download in original format. It didn't work every time though, and not every file is going to play on mobile if it isn't transcoded anyways.

The other issue I had was automatic failure of the download if I had a .disc version of the file even if it wasn't the primary version. Not sure if this is related or not. If not, I can start another thread.

I'm running Emby on Win11.

MBSki

@Luke Can we please get some help with this?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, I'm at 3.3.14 right now, but it still doesn't work. File converts, but just sits there on the server, and UI just shows Ready to Transfer. I'm getting ready for another trip and I really need this to work.

MBSki

@Luke This is an issue still too: The download will automatically file if there's a version of the file that is a .disc version even if it isn't the primary version.

MBSki

@Luke? @ebr? Anyone? Can we get some help here? The file converts, but just sits there. Why isn't it getting transferred to the device? It works for music files, why isn't the file transferring for larger files?

solidsnakex37

It's really easy for me to replicate this and I'm willing to work with the emby team and provide anything needed to find the root cause,  if not already known. 

• Like 1

MBSki

@Luke @ebr @CarloPLEASE, someone help us. This is a core function of Emby and we're not getting any assistance in resolving the issue. Please respond so we can get this solved.

MBSki
16 minutes ago, jamesphw said:

@MBSkiI think they just aren't fixing anything until the next release (4.8) is out... 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it, but this is a major function that isn't working. It's possible it could be solved with a client change, but hard to tell when we're not getting any response.

Dizzy49
2 hours ago, jamesphw said:

@MBSkiI think they just aren't fixing anything until the next release (4.8) is out... 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, MBSki said:

Seems like it, but this is a major function that isn't working. It's possible it could be solved with a client change, but hard to tell when we're not getting any response.

Yeah, I would like some kind of status update.  This issue is now 4 years old.  While I don't know if I would qualify it as a "core function" I certainly agree that syncing is a well used and important feature, and 4 years is a LONG TIME for an issue like this to still be ongoing.

• Like 1

solidsnakex37
8 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

While I don't know if I would qualify it as a "core function"

It's literally a feature listed as part of Emby Premiere which we all pay for...

image.thumb.png.9d6bb3b99b6ddbb4a6b91f5e96fe53ff.png

• Like 2

MBSki

@Luke I'm begging you. Can you PLEASE help us out. I have a trip in a few days and it would be nice if we could get this working so I can actually download videos.

Please try:

• Clear the download queue using Downloads management within the server
  • Then from inside the app, if you configured it to download to external storage, try setting it back to internal
  • In the device system settings, if you have enabled batter saver or anything else that might prevent the app's background downloads from running, then try disabling that.
  • Also from inside the app, try to download one video or song just to keep it simple before going beyond that
  • Make sure to keep the app open. You can move it to the background, but if you force close it, then the background download process will not be able to run.

Please see if that helps. Thanks.

MBSki

@LukeI tried all the steps above, but no luck. It's still stuck at ready to transfer. Should I send the logs?

3 hours ago, MBSki said:

@LukeI tried all the steps above, but no luck. It's still stuck at ready to transfer. Should I send the logs?

What exactly did you do and check? What exactly did you find when you did that?

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

What exactly did you do and check? What exactly did you find when you did that?

I did all of the steps you provided. The video proceeded to convert, but after it converted, it just got stuck at ready to transfer. 

image.png.2a0db45903ad8f9f8f4af67bfee431d6.png

Then I checked the downloads on my phone and there was a Movie folder, but it was empty.

SmartSelect_20230714_105743_Emby.thumb.jpg.78a294301474a2f0a6647c65e1ad15be.jpg

Then I went to look at internal storage on my phone, from my PC....also empty.

image.png.3b0c0076f5eff9ba1cbf3c798b7e8c06.png

Then I went to look at my servers sync folder and there it was. Just waiting to sync.

image.png.68ffb6364b2b930fb26e2b2ec6f7b15d.png

Some files sync, some don't. I'm not sure what the difference is.