Help! Emby Server is stuck in "Ready to Transfer" to my Android phone

drsalzman
Go to solution Solved by drsalzman,

MBSki

SUCCESS!!! Finally! 

So, since my first attempt didn't work, I uninstalled the app, and started fresh with v.18. I kept external storage and set it to only download on WiFi. Also set battery to unrestricted and left the app open. Now that it worked on 1 device, I'm going to uninstall on my other devices and try again since those are still having issues. 🤞

• Thanks 1

MBSki

@Luke It appears to be working again after uninstalling. Uninstalling might be the only way to guarantee that the queue is cleared. It seems when videos fail it leaves remnants that can't be removed.

Also, 1 other change I did make was to disable the setting to "remove permissions if app is unused". Not sure if that made a difference or not.

Lastly, I thought you had added a check for .disc file and de-prioritized it, but I just tried 2 with .disc files and they both failed. I thought for sure that was changed in .16 or .17. Can you add that in either way? If I'm away from home, there's no way for me to remove that .disc file.

It needs to be running in the background to transfer during "idle" time.

It's possible the cache needed to be cleared but all the cleaning up should take place with an uninstall/install cycle so if that works for you, then great!

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...
drmerc

I'm also having this problem. It seems to be related to canceling something that was mid conversion.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting the server and clearing the queue did not fix it.

solidsnakex37
3 minutes ago, drmerc said:

I'm also having this problem. It seems to be related to canceling something that was mid conversion.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting the server and clearing the queue did not fix it.

I replicated this behavior and reported it in this post. You are correct, cancelled content doesn't seem to actually cancel and will either continue downloading or get stuck

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/115260-removed-downloads-continue-to-download/

MBSki
1 hour ago, drmerc said:

Did you also try the steps below? I think what helped me the most was giving the app unrestricted access.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:32 AM, Luke said:

Please try:

• Clear the download queue using Downloads management within the server
  • Then from inside the app, if you configured it to download to external storage, try setting it back to internal
  • In the device system settings, if you have enabled batter saver or anything else that might prevent the app's background downloads from running, then try disabling that.
  • Also from inside the app, try to download one video or song just to keep it simple before going beyond that
  • Make sure to keep the app open. You can move it to the background, but if you force close it, then the background download process will not be able to run.

Please see if that helps. Thanks.

solidsnakex37

This is happening again and the steps provided by Luke only seemed to work for a bit, so likely a coincidence as it's not working now.

I can download and convert some media no problem, but some just stay in ready to transfer. The Transfer Media task also seems bugged, it reports the wrong time for its last run and if I restart the emby server it gives some random time like "Last ran 7 hours ago" and if I run it manually it switches to "Last ran 3 minutes ago" despite me literally just triggering it. 

Something is very wrong. Sucks how broken this is.

Just adding to the list. I've got 1 Amazon Fire stuck at "Ready to Transfer" for all downloads. Plenty of space. I've removed the app and reinstalled, but no change. I have another Fire, same model that is working fine. I was wondering if the issue occurred because they are the same make/model and had the same name in the Emby devoice list? I've updated the name by editing the metadata for the device, but perhaps its too late?

Any help would be great as I have a 14 hour drive with 4 kids tomorrow! I have Disney+ as well, but there isn't always signal driving across parts of Australia (not to mention the data use)!!

Thanks

Rich

MBSki
18 minutes ago, 701h said:

I have Disney+ as well, but there isn't always signal driving across parts of Australia (not to mention the data use)!!

Not sure the Emby issue will be resolved in time for you. Seems like the solution that did work was a fluke.

Can you download with Disney+? That's what I used when I couldn't get Emby to work.

8 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Not sure the Emby issue will be resolved in time for you. Seems like the solution that did work was a fluke.

Can you download with Disney+? That's what I used when I couldn't get Emby to work.

Thanks for the reply. I figure as much, but I'm just adding to the pool of people with the issue. Disney does allow downloads, but we have an extensive library.... 

• Like 1

solidsnakex37
1 hour ago, 701h said:

Thanks for the reply. I figure as much, but I'm just adding to the pool of people with the issue. Disney does allow downloads, but we have an extensive library.... 

I don't know about your device, but I can sometimes work around this by opening emby web in a mobile broswer, then downloading from there...

Downside is you just avoid the Emby app entirely, including watching it in app and you use your devices native player and open it from file browser. 

10 hours ago, solidsnakex37 said:

I don't know about your device, but I can sometimes work around this by opening emby web in a mobile broswer, then downloading from there...

Downside is you just avoid the Emby app entirely, including watching it in app and you use your devices native player and open it from file browser. 

Fyi, I was having trouble with Disney downloads as well, and I found that the wifi connection was set to "metered". This is what was causing the downloads not to start. I dont know why it was set this way, but changing it to "unmetered" has started the downloads!

Thanks all.

• Like 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, 701h said:

Fyi, I was having trouble with Disney downloads as well, and I found that the wifi connection was set to "metered". This is what was causing the downloads not to start. I dont know why it was set this way, but changing it to "unmetered" has started the downloads.

I had a similar issue and restarting cleared it up for some reason. Never figured out why, but now it works.