Server sleeping when streaming

Deihmos

Deihmos

I am using the WIndows 8.1 app and notice that the Server PC will go to sleep in the middle of streaming a video. How can I prevent this without disabling sleep? I don't have this problem when using MBC. 

Edited by Deihmos

• 7 months later...
scanner50

This is happening to me on a new machine, and don't want to have to rely on a third-party app to keep it from happening. Any chance we'll see a checkbox in MBS' settings for it to disable sleep when it's streaming something?

Deihmos

Yea I am not interesting in installing 3rd party applications to keep the PC awake. What MB3 need is the ability to send a stay awake signal to the OS when a client is streaming. This is what Plex does.

It does and it's been tested. We're making an operating system call. Perhaps its' not working on your system for whatever reason.

scanner50

Huh, interesting. And that includes streaming without transcoding? Because that's what I'm doing when it goes to sleep on me. Win 8.1.1 x64 on a Dell Venue 11 Pro i3 tablet.

scanner50

Ok, well I did some more digging to try to figure out my issue. MBS does indeed prevent sleep when streaming to my Roku. However, the machine is set to go to sleep after 5 minutes, and if I pause the video for longer than that, it will go to sleep, killing the stream. Hopefully there's an easy fix for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I also having issue with my machine is going to sleep. This happen when using the ipad(3rd),win 8 app and the android app. The ipad app is not showing the video being played in the dashboard but the win 8/android app does.
MBT is working - it prevent the mbs from sleeping.
All apps(win8+ipad+android) are transcoding, but mbt is not.

I only seeing \filesystem\srvnet as service which prevents sleep,  when running powercfg -requests. I not running the mbs as a service. I using traid as the filesystem, but I don't think thats the issue.

I running mbs on developer branch, current version is 3.0.5475.2469. MBS is running on win 8.1. The mbs computer is set to sleep after 5 min of inactivity

I unsure what information you want. Currently I have no problem replicating the issue

Edited by hhb97b

scanner50
Deihmos, on 29 Dec 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:Deihmos, on 29 Dec 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

I think 5 minutes is too short.

It may be, but it would still be nice for MB to prevent the machine from sleeping while a movie is paused for any length of time.

Let's say I set the machine to sleep after a half an hour, but then I have to pause a movie to take a phone call and it ends up lasting longer than that. Coming back to the movie to find that the stream has now choked because the server machine went to sleep is just not a desirable experience.

I also try not waste energy where possible, so leaving the server machine on 24/7 is also not an option for me.

Just my two cents.

Edited by rainking430

I don't think the server can be completely sure when you've paused something vs. just gone away.  Most modern players don't have the concept of "stop".  They just pause.  Now, if everything works right, the app should tell the server when something is truly stopped but that can't always happen because, in a mobile and disconnected world, you may have just disappeared and are not coming back.

I would set your server sleep at 30 min to an hour given your requirements.

Deihmos

When the roku screensaver kicks in the playback is stopped. I don't see what mediabrowser could do about that. What you can do is change the wait time for the screen saver on the roku.

Edited by Deihmos

• 1 month later...
Deihmos

Today I was streaming from the Windows 8.1 app remotely and the server went to sleep while streaming. I have the machine set to go to sleep after 15 minutes idle. How often is the stay away command sent to the server?