What's the secret with manually entering server IP info on the Fire TV stick?

gene0915

gene0915

I wanted to invite a friend to my Emby server. She installed Emby on the Fire TV stick and launched it. When it came up, I had her go to the screen where she can manually enter my server address. I'm using the DDNS in my ASUS router for a friendly name.... example; genemedia@asuscomm.com. She entered that and hit I think 'NEXT'. It asked for the port number.... told her to leave the default 8096 in there and hit NEXT. It then came back to the main screen and had my server address in there but while she could highlight the 'next' button, she couldn't press on it. We were doing a video chat on our phones and she was showing me her screen and the picture quality was kinda crappy but everything looked right. I didn't see an option to enter a username/pass (maybe it would have popped that up after she connected?) but what were we doing wrong?

I don't have a Fire TV stick in my house to guide her and couldn't find a single YouTube setup video for manually entering the server info on the Fire stick. After nearly an hour we gave up for the night.

I know, I know....'use Emby connect..... just send her an email invite.... it's so much simpler'. Well, I've had pretty much zero luck with Emby connect. Just when I think it's working, it fails. If I go into users, click on my username, my Emby connect username/email address IS in the "EmbyConnect" field. When I send the invite, she doesn't show up in the 'pending' section. I think before, I went to http://app.emby.media (non-secure) and WAS able to invite people that way but that doesn't work either.

What are we doing wrong?

PS The lady I'm working with is not technically savvy. At all. She didn't realize she needed the Fire TV stick to hook to her wifi to get on the network. She assumed just plugging it in to her TV was all that was needed. But doesn't the Fire stick walk you through setting up the network when you first power it on?!?!? Maybe she DID set up wifi and just forgot?!

Edited by gene0915

Hi.  Of course, she will need to get wifi going for any of this to work.

Assuming that is done - the on-screen keyboard and dialogs on Android TV are far from what I would call "intuitive".  After she has completed the entry of the port, instead of hitting the "Next" button, have her hit either ok or back and then select the "OK" button on the dialog and press that.

• 1 month later...
tweetie516pa

I just have a question no reply .. do you have to be connected wireless or can you also do wired if so where do I find my server numbers for my tv. I need step by step instructions  Please Help

Edited by tweetie516pa

I just have a question no reply .. do you have to be connected wireless or can you also do wired if so where do I find my server numbers for my tv. I need step by step instructions  Please Help

Hi. Either one will work.

Your server address is shown on the front page of the server dashboard.

Connectivity