Libraries not cooperating

lklein

Here's an image to help explain what's happening...

5c54b90c4d3b4_emby.jpg

I want just the TV shows and Movies to show the right content but everything shows up in Recordings.

If I delete the Recording folder then my media shows up correctly in the TV shows and Movies folders like I want.

But Emby will eventually put the Recording folder back and everything is back in that folder. They are in two sub folders under recordings, TV shows and Movies and the  folders shown in the image for the TV shows and Movies are empty again.

I can repeat this over and over but Emby just puts the Recording folder back. :(

Can this be fix? If so what should I do?

Thanks.

What is the path of the Recording library?

Where do you have your DVR programs set to record to?

Here are the paths. They are on a second drive on the server computer.  Windows 7.

Recordings:   E:\emby

Tv Shows:      E:\emby\tv shows

Movies:           E:\emby\movies

Also there are two sub folders in the Recording folder  which are  movies and tv shows.

The DVR settings:

Default recording path:     E:\emby
search
Specify the default location to save recordings. If left empty, the server's program data folder will be used.
Movie recording path (optional):       E:\emby\movies
search
Series recording path (optional):    E:\emby\tv shows
searc

Do you see your problem?

A file can only be part of one library at a time.  You set your recordings (recording library) to the same location as your normal files.

Try using this for recordings:

Recordings:   E:\DVR

Tv Shows:      E:\DVR\tv shows

Movies:           E:\DVR\movies

Hmm, I guess I don't understand.

Your example looks the same as mine except you use a folder DVR instead of Emby.

Would just changing the name of the Emby folder to DVR make a difference?

Or does this has something to do with my sub folders?  

Maybe I didn't understand your post.

We know where you are recording to.

What is the paths for your Movie Library and your TV Show Library?

Tv Shows:      E:\emby\tv shows

Movies:           E:\emby\movies

Everything ends up in the Recording library though.    E:\emby

If I delete the Recording library the recordings show up like I want in the TV and Movies libraries.

...but Emby eventually puts the Recording library back (maybe after a recording)  and everything shows up back in it.  TV and Movies libraries are empty again.

I'm new to Emby so I probably don't understand how it works.

I'm going to take a look at the folders today and see which folders the recordings are actually in. Maybe then I can figure it out.

Edited by lklein

In SETTINGS under DVR I set the default Recording folder to E:\DVR  and left the TV and Movie as they were in the emby folder.

It's okay right now but I will see if it stays that way or if Emby decides to put everything over there in the Recording folder again.

In SETTINGS under DVR I set the default Recording folder to E:\DVR  and left the TV and Movie as they were in the emby folder.

It's okay right now but I will see if it stays that way or if Emby decides to put everything over there in the Recording folder again.

That should work just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that your recordings are a Library of their own.  No file or folder can be part of two different libraries as that causes weird things to happen as you have seen.  Depending on which library last scanned the media you could see things flipping from library to library.

By moving your recording path to it's own folder such as C:\DVR you have solved this problem.  It does not need to be C:\DVR but could be any disk or folder as long as it's not part of another library.

Out of the box, Emby had it's own distinct recording folder so ti worked properly right up until you changed it.  You're not the first to do this, nor probably the last person to do it either. :)  As Luke said it's something that should be reviewed and maybe even changed in a future update to Live TV/DVR.

Does that make more sense explained like that?

Thanks for the help. Emby is working fine now.

I'm not sure if Emby made those sub folders in the Recording library or I did initially.

What is the purpose of the default Recording library. Sounds like it's a "catch all".  Does it hold anything that Emby can't decide if it's a movie or a TV show?

If not why do we need it?

Thanks