Kodi Vs MCE user experience

MikeyMan

MikeyMan

Hi guys,

Since Microsoft is stripping more and more functionality from MCE I'm trying to figure out Kodi at the moment.

I've been a long time MCE + Emby user, and a very satisfied one at that. Been able to have the add-ons installed. However, it still seems that the UI of Kodi is very much different than for MCE. Am I doing something wrong?

I very much like to have the same home screen as I've been used to, but can't seem to manage it. Any hints?

xnappo

Have you looked at the Embuary skin (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49724-support-thread-embuary-a-emby-kodi-skin/) ?  It is specifically made to have an Emby look-and-feel.

If you are looking for an actual old-school circa 2002 interface - that is harder.  There used to be Kodi skins that worked like that, but the general consumer UI has moved on such that those are pretty defunct now.

MikeyMan

That's a Kodi skin instead of a Emby config?

Don't know if it's a 2002 interface. I'm talking about the Emby MCE plugin. Quite straightforward home screen where I can switch from TV shows to movies, with album art.

MikeyMan

Ah, thanks, Will have a look at that as well.

But it's not possible to have Emby for Kodi work like the MCE version?

sualfred

Kodi is a own application with a own workflow. It's not a clone of WMC. Kodi (formerly XBMC) is much older and longer available that WMC ever was. 
Play with other skins. There are dozens available skins to fit the taste of everybody. Embuary is just a option. But nothing will change the way how Kodi works.

MikeyMan

Oh I do understand that Kodi has a much different flow than MCE. However, I don't understand the difference in the workings of Emby between them.

Like I said, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

In MCE u start Emby after boot and never have to exit Emby to access all my shows, concerts and movies. Very convenient if you ask me, since smby does all I need from a media player.

xnappo

Like I said, install the Embuary skin..  Should be a similar experience.  Personally I would start with Embycon for server communication, then try Emby for Kodi later to see which you prefer.