Discovery of Samsung M series speakers (WAM5500 etc.)

basilf

Hi,

Firstly apologies, as I guess this has been asked before (although I've searched and read, but not found it !), also apologies for my technical skills (or lack of!)

I have recently set up a set of WiFi enabled Samsung M5 wireless speakers around the house and a new WiFi enabled Samsung N950 soundbar in the lounge for the TV. (Not so pleased with the N950 in terms of connectivity, but it sounds great!). I'm now looking for a premium streaming DLNA server to manage my music and multimedia files. Tried various regular DLNA servers, prefer Plex or Emby, with Emby out in front on a number of tick boxes (thanks guys!)

I'm trying to achieve the ability to play via my Synology NAS, .FLAC files etc. to the speaker of my choice. I've achieved this to various extents:

1) I can use any DLNA server on the synology and it's picked up in the Samsung multi-room app (so far so good!), BUT, the MR app does not see the soundbar, this needs Samsung Smartthings, which does not 'see' the M5 speakers!

2) Plex 'Sees' the M5's, but not the Soundbar

3) Emby sees the soundbar, but NOT the M5's!

All the above is without changing any network settings, just what each app 'sees' (BTW 'See' means showing in the Emby 'Play to' menu)

I've tried restarting the Emby server etc. but no luck.

I've skimmed the Emby log files (more analysis pending, but on a learning curve here). I can see 'GET' requests sent to the M5's, and a 200 status response which is repeats at intervals. but this didn't develop into the speakers appearing in the 'Play to' menu. It's the M5s that are important to me, the soundbars a bonus. If I can solve this, then Emby has a new subscriber for sure.

So, finally ;) the question: Has anyone got Samsung M5's working with Emby? Do I need a DLNA profile for them (and where can I find one?) or is there some other configuration I need to do?

Thanks!

Edited by basilf

3) Emby sees the soundbar, but NOT the M5's!

Hi there, welcome. In regards to this, if you turn them off and then back on while Emby Server is already running, does that change anything?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just power cycled one of the M5's and waited a half hour or so, but nothing new appears in the 'Play to' menu.

From what I can figure out from the log file, it seems that Emby gets a response from the speaker, but doesn't recognise it as matching a known profile? I looked for a guide on how to create one, but can't find one, could you point me in the right direction please?

A profile is not needed for the server to detect the speaker. Does the speaker advertise itself as a media renderer?

Hi, Sorry for the slow reply, I've been trying to find out how to test for this. I found a utility called Device Spy, which seems to show what services are advertised?

It does look like they don't advertise this, from further research it looks like they rely on Allshare and DLNA for control?

Here's a screenshot from Device Spy if it helps?

5c56fae827b7b_Capture.jpg

Ok then it looks like something we don't support at this stage. It's possible for the future though. Thanks.