4K Colors Dull/Washed Out/Greyish

jrhessey

jrhessey

Hey guys.  I have a Shieldtv running through a Denon AVR-S500BT to a Samsung QLED 4K TV.  I have turned on the UHD setting in my Samsung tv which enables the rec2020 resolutions options in the Shield.  I believe I have my shield set to 10bit 4K 60hrz, could be 12bit though.  I've tried so many settings, I don't remember.  ha!  No matter what I try, The colors aren't as vibrant as the display was in the showroom, using those nature promo videos.  Is there something else I am missing, is it the app, the Shield, or are the colors that way in the movies and not vibrant like the promo videos.  I've attached the chapter images, that exactly how it looks when playing the movie.  I also attached the media info if that helps any.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

post-2478-0-34122400-1549031039_thumb.png

post-2478-0-27545400-1549031050_thumb.png

TylerV76

Hey guys.  I have a Shieldtv running through a Denon AVR-S500BT to a Samsung QLED 4K TV.  I have turned on the UHD setting in my Samsung tv which enables the rec2020 resolutions options in the Shield.  I believe I have my shield set to 10bit 4K 60hrz, could be 12bit though.  I've tried so many settings, I don't remember.  ha!  No matter what I try, The colors aren't as vibrant as the display was in the showroom, using those nature promo videos.  Is there something else I am missing, is it the app, the Shield, or are the colors that way in the movies and not vibrant like the promo videos.  I've attached the chapter images, that exactly how it looks when playing the movie.  I also attached the media info if that helps any.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Couple things. First, so you know, Emby cant play HDR files in HDR if the file is cropped like your 2nd photo. The video height must be 2160 for the Shield to detect HDR. This is something we are waiting to be fixed but doesn't look like that's going to be anytime soon. You will probably want to use another player to play those in HDR. 

As for washed out colors. Go into the shields settings. Go to "About" and scroll down until you see the "Build". Click select on "Build" 7 times to unlock developer mode. Back out of that screen and scroll up to "Developer Options". Once in Developer Options scroll way down and find "Colorimetry". Turn that on and restart the shield and you should be all set.

Edited by TylerV76

jrhessey

Couple things. First, so you know, Emby cant play HDR files in HDR if the file is cropped like your 2nd photo. The video height must be 2160 for the Shield to detect HDR. This is something we are waiting to be fixed but doesn't look like that's going to be anytime soon. You will probably want to use another player to play those in HDR. 

As for washed out colors. Go into the shields settings. Go to "About" and scroll down until you see the "Build". Click select on "Build" 7 times to unlock developer mode. Back out of that screen and scroll up to "Developer Options". Once in Developer Options scroll way down and find "Colorimetry". Turn that on and restart the shield and you should be all set.

Like VLC?

Are there any preferred players?

TylerV76

Like VLC?

Are there any preferred players?

Personal preference honestly. As much as I absolutely hate Plex, I setup a Plex server on my shield and pointed it to my UHD movie folder. You could either do that or run Plex on your server. 

The other players didn't do as good of a job with HDR files and Atoms/DTS-X sound as Plex does imo. 

Im hoping Emby gets this sorted soon as well as a few other Shield issues. 

Edited by TylerV76

jrhessey

@@TylerV76

I can't set the coloremity option because I can't upgrade to 7.2.  I'm one of the users with the stuttering bug if I upgrade so I'm stuck on 7.1 for now....  yay....  lol!

I did set up a plex server for UHD stuff, but I don't notice a difference in the quality, most likely because I can't enable that option yet...  

Thanks for your help guys!!