Switch user (instead of log out) and save Emby connect credentials in mobile apps

F1nchy

Hi guys

I have a couple of requests. 

I'm really liking Emby so far but have a couple of issues that I think could be improved. 

When I am logged into my Emby and want to change user I have to log out of one user and then select another user. 

On my Android TV logging out of a user closes the whole app, and on my Android tablet it brings me back to the screen with the list of users. 
On top of that, if I log in with an Emby Connect account to switch user I have to log out, select the new user, and when I want to log back in with an Emby Connect account I have to reenter the username and password, which is a bit of a ballache, I'd expect it to be able to save the credentials. 

Could there be an option to switch between users instead of having to log in and out of each? It would make it all much quicker, smoother an tidier than how it is at the moment, and it could save any Emby Connect account credentials as well it would be really useful (I have to keep opening up Keepass to get my logins, which is a bit of a pain!)

Thanks!

• Like 4

Hi, yes, this is something we need to improve and standardize the behavior across all of our apps. Thanks.

• Like 2

When I am logged into my Emby and want to change user I have to log out of one user and then select another user. 

Hi.  Are you logged into Connect when you try this?  Connect is not designed for switching users (we are looking to simplify this).

I usually use local users but as I was going into hospital overnight I changed one to Connect and after logging in as that user locally it was quite awkward to get back to the local users. 

One of our three user accounts are Connect, the other two are local. I can log out of one and into another easily enough when they're logged in as local users. I guess you only need to use a Connect login if you are away from home/the LAN? 

Logging out of a user on the Android TV logs me out of the whole app though and I have to reopen the app to get the login screen.

Hi.  Actually, you don't ever need to use a Connect login if you don't want and, if you want to be able to easily switch users, then you should not use Connect.

Connect is designed for a single user to connect easily to a remote server without having to know the address but Connect is not required for remote connections.

We have plans to greatly simplify all this hopefully in the not too distant future.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Mobius

Currently using Emby Theatre for Windows.

I am very much in favour of having a switch user option for those with LAN access only. Especially since the most recent updates to EMBY.

I understand that because issues of client side password management that people have had their accounts compromised remotely. Consequently the EMBY staff have made changes to help prevent this from happening.

Prior to the update though; My wife and I would watch the TV and if she wanted to continue watching something on her profile; it was simply a matter of clicking on the user icon, select sign out and then you were presented with a row of other users. My wife would click on her user image and that was it. No keyboard required and 3 mouse clicks.

Now we are no longer presented with the row of user icons but a log in. Even if you set no password; you still have to type in the name of the user.

So the security update for us as LAN only users has made using EMBY more cumbersome, especially since we use a mouse. (the keyboard is wired and attached directly to the server and some distance from where we sit).

If there is a configuration workaround, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers and all the best. :)

Currently using Emby Theatre for Windows.

I am very much in favour of having a switch user option for those with LAN access only. Especially since the most recent updates to EMBY.

I understand that because issues of client side password management that people have had their accounts compromised remotely. Consequently the EMBY staff have made changes to help prevent this from happening.

Prior to the update though; My wife and I would watch the TV and if she wanted to continue watching something on her profile; it was simply a matter of clicking on the user icon, select sign out and then you were presented with a row of other users. My wife would click on her user image and that was it. No keyboard required and 3 mouse clicks.

Now we are no longer presented with the row of user icons but a log in. Even if you set no password; you still have to type in the name of the user.

So the security update for us as LAN only users has made using EMBY more cumbersome, especially since we use a mouse. (the keyboard is wired and attached directly to the server and some distance from where we sit).

If there is a configuration workaround, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers and all the best. :)

Hi there @@Mobius, have you explored the user permissions in the server dashboard? You can re-enable showing users on the login screen if that's what you want. You can also eliminate the need to enter a password on the LAN if that's what you want. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Mobius

Hi there @@Mobius, have you explored the user permissions in the server dashboard? You can re-enable showing users on the login screen if that's what you want. You can also eliminate the need to enter a password on the LAN if that's what you want. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Hey  @@Luke,

Thanks for the prompt reply and for pointing to where I would find a quick solution. Problem Solved. :)

Feedback re my particular issue:

It turns out I had to untick Hide this user from login screens when connected remotely under Users\Profile\...

I did not realise the solution myself as the setting title implied to me that it would affect remote access only. (See screenshot below).

5ccfcf0489fa7_screenHideuserfromloginwhe

I must of checked this option a while back as my thinking is that anything regarding remote access (since is not needed at this point); should be disabled (in this case hidden), as it may provide an additional stumbling block against unauthourised access.

In any case; your reply made me re-read the description of the setting:"...The user will need to sign in manually by entering their username and password." and I figured that this is likely the reason why we now have to log in when switching accounts after the EMBY security changes for remote access.

Could be just my misunderstanding of the setting, but perhaps this setting could be reworded or additional clarification included in the description regarding it's impact on local access.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks again for the help and all the best Luke. :)

Edited by Mobius

• 2 weeks later...
genfuzuki

How about automatic log out on TV app  I sometimes forget to logoff and worried my kids might start watching the wrong movies :-)

How about automatic log out on TV app  I sometimes forget to logoff and worried my kids might start watching the wrong movies :-)

Which TV app?  Android, Fire and Apple TV should all already have an auto logout option.