GTX1070 HW acceleration problem

JanKol

Hello,

I have a problem with HW acceleration on my GPU. I am running on Windows 7 x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX1070, I have installed latest Emby beta version 4.1.0.5

normally I am running Emby on another low power computer where I am no able to play 4K video so I am doing experiments on my gaming PC where i created a library with one 4K video.

Some info about the video:

Title 4K H264
Kodek H264
Značka kodeku avc1
AVC Yes
Profil Constrained Baseline
Úroveň 52
Rozlišení 3840x2160
Poměr stran 16:9
Anamorfní nastavení No
Prokládané No
Snímková frekvence 59,94
Datový tok 25 367 kbps
Primární barva bt709
Barva prostoru bt709
Barva přenosu bt709
Počet bitů na pixel 8 bit
Pixel formáty uv420p
Ref snímky 1
NAL4

AudioTitleUnd AAC stereo Default
Jazyk und
Kodek AAC
Značka kodeku mp4a
Profil LC
Rozvržení stereo
Kanály 2 ch
Datový tok127 kbps
Vzorkovací frekvence 48 000 Hz
Default Yes

Sorry for Czech-English, but I hope it is not problem. Basically it is H264 60fps 4K video. My CPU is able to encode this video but only with ultrafast option and is permanently on the edge of its power. Therefore I would like to try HW acceleration on GPU.

When I enable HW acceleration, I am not able to play video, as it stuck on black screen with no error message.

I have attached some error logs, maybe they will be useful. I was not able to find any information about this problem, maybe I just doing something wrong. Must be there some special SW installed? I just installed GeForce Experience program.

Log001.txt

Log002.txt

Log003.txt

Log004.txt

Log005.txt

Thank in advance for any help

Jan

Hi, at what point did you enable hardware transcoding? These logs are all software transcoding. Do you have Emby Premiere?

Hi, at what point did you enable hardware transcoding? These logs are all software transcoding. Do you have Emby Premiere?

Hi Luke,

yes I have premiere activated for second month, but problem is that I was not sure which log I should post. Firefox is opening log in new tab so I had to manually create txt files so original filenames has been lost. But I tried to send latest log and log where "transcoding" was in original filename.

I have labour with both types of transcoding, CPU one with HW acceleration disabled (video can be played but high CPU usage) and GPU one with HW acceleration enabled (video cannot be played - only black screen).

I am using Firefox as a browser and trying to play video on same machine as Emby is running (HTTP, localhost). Maye there is problem. I will try to play video from another computer in LAN.

Logs I post were created in time I tried to play that video and switching on/off HW acceleration for several times. I am no sure how logs are working in Emby, but maybe is possible that as Emby is stuck on black screen and I have to reenter localhost URL to browser to bring me back to homepage, it is possible that no log is created.

I will enable detailed repots, roll log file and try to play video again with enabled/disabled HW acceleration and provide here new logs.

I will do this later this day as I am in work now.

Thanks for help,

Jan

Hello, here are my logs created when I attempted to play video with HW acceleration enabled. I have also enabled detailed logging. With each attempt, the new log has been created automatically. After my tests, I have rolled log file. In the picture, you can see original names of logs. First one is Log006.txt etc... I have also tried to play video from another computer in LAN but without luck. Same as on localhost.

BTW, Is there any way how to download logs directly including their original filenames?

Thank you in advance.

Jan

5c54931618b16_Log.jpg

Log006.txt

Log007.txt

Log008.txt

Log009.txt

Can you try installing the latest nvidia graphics drivers, and then reboot your system? Please let me know if this changes anything. thanks.

Luke

Posted Today, 08:15 AM

Can you try installing the latest nvidia graphics drivers, and then reboot your system? Please let me know if this changes anything. thanks.

Hi I have the latest drivers "GeForce Game Ready Driver" version 417.71 from 01/15/2019.

I was also trying if there are any more drivers needed for HW acceleration, but I did not find anything.

I downloaded monitor no monitor GPU usage during video loading and idle. I have found out there is standby usage 6%, and 30% usage when loading video. I have also trying to set priority for encoders. see pictures:

NVDEC first, idle

5c5550e7610dd_01_Emby_NVDEC_Idle.jpg

NVDEC first loading video

5c5550fa7679e_02_Emby_NVDEC_Loading.jpg

DXVA first, idle

5c55512d2d0fb_03_Emby_DXVA2_Idle.jpg

DXVA2 first, loading video

5c55511260db9_04_Emby_DXVA2_Loading.jpg

Jan

Edited by JanKol

and the ffmpeg log from the dxva attempt? thanks.

Sorry for that I did not realize that changing priority will have an influence on logs.

Original names:

5c5697792e793_Log1.jpg

And logs:

Log010.txt

Log011.txt

Log012.txt

Log013.txt

From my last post is visible that GPU is doing something. but I have no idea why video is not started even also few minutes. I hope this help.

I was wondering if there is some general guide for HW acceleration, so I could check If I did all needed steps required for HW acceleration. Or is it only about owning GPU, latest drivers, Emby premiere and HW acceleration enabled?

Thank you for your support,

Jan

Hi,

I have tried this with the following video:

5c56a43310ae4_1080p_video.jpg

Settings unchanged, debug log enabled, DXVA2 first. No problem to play this video. I have tried to check GPU load during play, but the load is comparable with idle load, also on CPU no higher load observed.

What is interesting, Emby did not create ffmpeg log for playing mentioned 1080p. So I have no new relevant logs.

I will read the article on wiki, maybe there will be something that I missed.

Here is just a normal latest log, downloaded after playing video and rolling log file:

Log014.txt

Jan

It direct played this file without transcoding. Do you have a 1080p file that will require transcoding?

Sorry for dump question, but I do not know which file it should be. Some specific codec? Or change a streaming resolution in Emby? For example to 480p to force Emby to do some transcoding?

For example to 480p to force Emby to do some transcoding?

Yes that would be fine as well, thanks !

Hi,

tried to play 1080p video as 480p video. Worked fine. Several encoding logs have been created as I stopped and played video multiple times. I will try more videos, I have also another 4K with only 30fps.

Jan

Log015.txt

EDIT:

During playing this video as 480p, GPU load was about 25%. Idle load is about 5%.

Edited by JanKol

Thanks for the info. I think there are issues related to 4K to 4K transcoding, and limiting to 1080p seems to resolve them. We'll look into this. Thanks.

I have tried some experiments with mentioned 4K/60fps video.

While playing another 1080p video I changed settings to 480p/1Mbps. Then I have found out that I am able to play 4K/60fps video in this quality. Then I have been sequentially increasing quality to 720p and even to 1080p where the following behavior was observed:

1080p/20Mbps - No problems

1080p/25Mbps - On first attempt 100% CPU usage, GPU usage not checked - weird, the second attempt without problems, maybe some random external influence of something for the first attempt

1080p/30Mbps - Unable to play - I hope it is not a data speed rate problem as for CPU encoding I am able to play video at 120Mbps speed.

Emby generated a lot of logs, but I am not sure if they are relevant for you, as we now know that there can be some issue for HW 4K video transcoding as you wrote.

I will wait for next beta releases of Emby and will you let know when I found this working.

Thank you for help.

Jan

I think in the short term we should just not transcode 4k to 4k. If transcoding is needed, then we can limit that to 1080p. That will allow it to just work and give us time to thoroughly test transcoding to 4k.