Play back quality on Roku

Newbie20113

Newbie20113

Hi all I am completely new to emby and streaming. I got the Emby server going on my desktop running windows 10. I got movies put on Emby. Emby runs great on my desktop android phone and big screen tv in the living room (smart Tv about a year old running roku). Where I am having trouble is in my bedroom. I have an older tv. It has HDMI but is not a smart tv. So I got a roku stick from Walmart. The cheaper one. I downloaded the emby app and watched a movie. The quality was terrible and it would skip and get a all blocky. If I lowered the setting it would play and not skip but quality was still bad. On that same tv through the roku I can watch Netflix with great quality and no skipping in HD. I cant figure out why the Emby is running great on three devices but not on the other. 

Thought I would try here before buying another tv. I did search the forums but couldn't find anything and the posts I did find I couldn't understand the technical talk. Thanks for any help.

It sounds like a bad network connection for that device.  How far is it from your wireless access point?

But Netflix works fine on the same device

Different path, different content, not involving his server hardware, etc.

Newbie20113

Hi all thanks for the responses, i tried again on 480p-4mbps. And it worked alot better. I'm not sure why that didn't work the other day. One more question, when i leave my house and try to watch a movie somewhere else on my android phone, it will play but will pause and stop playing after a few minutes. Is that cause I need to buy a subscription or could it be something else? Sorry if these questions are trivial like I said im new to this and have been searching the forums. Thanks again.

Newbie20113

Its a basic cox cable plan

10 mbps download

Up to 1mbps up load

Is what the website says. Is there is way to test it.

Im guessing thats too slow?

Up to 1mbps up load

Yes, that is going to be too slow for reliable out of network streaming I would imagine.

You would need to set the in-app quality to about 400Kb/s probably to get smooth streaming.