Live TV Digital Box Question

fablednikita

fablednikita

I see that you can record Live TV, but I have a PVR With my cable service, and digital boxes, what would be the easiest way to make my server to record shows?

fablednikita

Hi there, can you hook an HD Homerun into this?

The server i have is a Dual Xeon server machine, I should be able to hook anything into it, could you give me a link?

fablednikita

I saw the HD Homerun, the problem is in Canada, cable tv is no more, well it is but it isnt in the traditional sense, as you now need a "TV Tuner Box" And cant get just streight cable anymore.

What i have is:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/wifi-routers-gateways/fiber/r3000/

A R300 Cable router

this connects to :

https://aliant.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/HD-PVR-Receivers

the first one 4k PVR is the one i have.

I also have 2 other Standered "Wireless Reciever" boxes.

Yes I have the PVR, but the pvr itself is only max of 500gb, if i have this server, i can store over 1tb and higher (Has 8 Extention bays)

fablednikita

So basically, my service with bell is way better then that HDHomeRun, i been on there site, its 35$ a month, I was just hoping to take the signal from that and record shows.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder :)

For example with Emby I've got 10 network tuners (combination of cable and antenna), 4 Premium TV tuners plus IPTV channels that I can record from at the same time.  That's any combination of recording or watching live.  With Emby if I'm recording something on ABC and 4 users are also watching it live Emby only uses ONE TUNER.  I can add additional tuners if needed for a one time purchase vs rental fees every month from the cable company.

When I record The Big Bang Theory it get's added to my existing 11.5 years of shows for it.  Law & Order gets save with the 20 years of recordings I already have. So it's nice to be able to record on the same system it will be archived on and played back from.

I can playback anything recorded (or Live TV) from my Xbox(s), PC, Android TV (Shield TV), Rokus, web browser or my Mobile phones from in the house, at a friends or basically anywhere I've got Internet access or mobile data.  Besides just watching or recording, I can schedule shows from anywhere I've got internet on any device.

Since I've been known to record some late night programming I can use Emby's parental access to make sure younger eyes don't see or even know about that content.

That's just touching the surface.  So "better" is in how you want to use things.  I prefer the "all in one" approach Emby allows for vs using multiple different systems for different things.

With all that said, call up and ask your cable provider if they support "cable cards" or if they don't know what that is, ask about "Tivo".  If they support that then you could use a HDHomeRun Prime for recording cable.  Even if not, you could check to see what channels you get via antenna in your area.  If you have decent coverage then an HDHomeRun Quatro might be the ticket.  The Quatro can record 4 things at once.

One thing to keep in mind is these devices only record up to 1080 and do not do 4K but I'm not sure how much content you actually get that way anyway.

• Like 1

fablednikita

Just out of interest, what make/model?

The server is:

Dual Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz    

48 DDR4

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder :)

For example with Emby I've got 10 network tuners (combination of cable and antenna), 4 Premium TV tuners plus IPTV channels that I can record from at the same time.  That's any combination of recording or watching live.  With Emby if I'm recording something on ABC and 4 users are also watching it live Emby only uses ONE TUNER.  I can add additional tuners if needed for a one time purchase vs rental fees every month from the cable company.

When I record The Big Bang Theory it get's added to my existing 11.5 years of shows for it.  Law & Order gets save with the 20 years of recordings I already have. So it's nice to be able to record on the same system it will be archived on and played back from.

I can playback anything recorded (or Live TV) from my Xbox(s), PC, Android TV (Shield TV), Rokus, web browser or my Mobile phones from in the house, at a friends or basically anywhere I've got Internet access or mobile data.  Besides just watching or recording, I can schedule shows from anywhere I've got internet on any device.

Since I've been known to record some late night programming I can use Emby's parental access to make sure younger eyes don't see or even know about that content.

That's just touching the surface.  So "better" is in how you want to use things.  I prefer the "all in one" approach Emby allows for vs using multiple different systems for different things.

With all that said, call up and ask your cable provider if they support "cable cards" or if they don't know what that is, ask about "Tivo".  If they support that then you could use a HDHomeRun Prime for recording cable.  Even if not, you could check to see what channels you get via antenna in your area.  If you have decent coverage then an HDHomeRun Quatro might be the ticket.  The Quatro can record 4 things at once.

One thing to keep in mind is these devices only record up to 1080 and do not do 4K but I'm not sure how much content you actually get that way anyway.

I would love to have your setup, but 40$ USD, would be same as im paying now, i was hoping for a way to record a show or several shows without having to pay for a 2nd service. So this is why I would like to record the shows streight to my box.  

Right now my PVR Does record shows, the problem is simple, if you ahve or are close to the 500gb Hard drive which you cannot upgrade, or transfer the shows off because the hard drive is built in.

Also the service by default it will remove the last Recording unless you ask it not to when you do Live TV Pause, making it you would lose your tv if you get to the end of the Space.

Now if you get to the end of your space and want to keep some of the shows you record, your live tv pause will be not able to be used because it would have no room.

This is why i need to find a way to Record the TV, and still be able to keep recordings.

I was hoping i would be able to hook a 3rd box up to the Server, and directly put the Box into the server to record, the box itself is with a HDMI Cable. Does not have Coax Cable. Coax I believe here has been phased out, most companies where i live only do TV By IP.

So there isn't even a coax delivering the feed?

Or if there is it's delivered via IPTV?

Sounds like uVerse and there's no way to get that into Emby or anything else for that matter.

What about OTA?

You can add apps to pick up the rest?

There are a few things that could still be looked into.

First see what channels are available in your area via OTA.  This would require an antenna and tuner such as the HDHomeRun Quatro but would then have no monthly fees.  You would then be able to record or watch up to 4 channels at the same time and space limitations are a thing of the past as you can add additional drives as needed.

If your OTA channels is enough then you wouldn't need cable any more nor have to pay additional per STB.

There are also services that sell IPTV of questionable legality but offer tons of channels.  A lot of people use them.  With these types of IPTV services you don't need any additional hardware at all.  Different providers offer different stream counts and they typically allow from 2 to 5 streams to be used at the same time. 

• Like 1

lightsout

So basically, my service with bell is way better then that HDHomeRun, i been on there site, its 35$ a month, I was just hoping to take the signal from that and record shows.

I think you are misunderstanding the use of HDhomerun, what you are looking at is there TV service, but what is being recommended is their hardware. Their hardware replaces your DVR from the cable company. As said above you would need to rent a cabelcard instead of a DVR from them and put it in the tuner. Although I don't think this service is available in canada but I am not certain on that. Sweet server by the way.

fablednikita

I think you are misunderstanding the use of HDhomerun, what you are looking at is there TV service, but what is being recommended is their hardware. Their hardware replaces your DVR from the cable company. As said above you would need to rent a cabelcard instead of a DVR from them and put it in the tuner. Although I don't think this service is available in canada but I am not certain on that. Sweet server by the way.

Yes, Cable "Free" service in canada where i live does not exists, this is because the Government went in and said to close all free service and to require a Box in order to get service. My PVR is normaly 8$ to rent, but with my plan its free as part of the service, but the main reason isnt that im paying for it, it is that it is limited to its storage compacity to 500gb and is not able to be upgraded. Which I would love to be able to have a service like the Emby media box and able to just direct record to the box to store them for longer viewing.

lightsout

Yes, Cable "Free" service in canada where i live does not exists, this is because the Government went in and said to close all free service and to require a Box in order to get service. My PVR is normaly 8$ to rent, but with my plan its free as part of the service, but the main reason isnt that im paying for it, it is that it is limited to its storage compacity to 500gb and is not able to be upgraded. Which I would love to be able to have a service like the Emby media box and able to just direct record to the box to store them for longer viewing.

Yeah sorry I am not talking about free cable either. This is digital cable that requires a cable box to be used, but all cable boxes essentially have a card in them that decrypts the signal.(at least in the US) HDHomerun made (out of production but can be easily found on ebay) a device with three tuners that replaces your cable box, and records to a computer on your network. I am currently using one with Emby. So I can record to a 24TB server. And then watch those recordings on any device that has Emby.

The problem for him if using UVerse is that it's a proprietary IPTV service and can not use cable cards.

Silicon Dust hasn't released Premium TV for Canada yet either.

That leaves him with OTA and IPTV services similar to vaders.

I'd still like to know what OTA coverage would be for his location.  Might get enough coverage that it's good enough.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the PTV service from SD isn't a good as it was due to some upstream contract negotiations that have had some channels offline for 2 months now.  Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN that were part of the lineup now are not.  They have reduced the price down to $25 (via $10 refund) until there is some type of resolution but those are important channels for many people.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1