Live TV (IPTV) - Choppy Playback

MasterBlaster83

MasterBlaster83

Hello,

I have IPTV configured and working but having some challenges with playback being choppy or skipping.

Behavior:

When opening the channel the video playback starts off fine but quickly starts to freeze.  It will play for a few seconds and then freeze for a few seconds (a few seconds being anywhere from 5-30).  Occasionally it will not unfreeze at all.  Looking at the "stats for nerds" I can see the FPS is very low, sometimes in the single digits.

Resolution (sometimes):

If I back out of the stream and go back in the FPS will be high and everything runs perfectly.  Sometimes after going back in the first time it's fixed, sometimes I have to go back in multiple times for it to work correctly.

I'm played around with transcode settings, forcing software and hardware transcoding but doesn't seem to matter.  Tried enabling the "Auto-loop live streams" which also didn't help.  I have gigabit internet and transcoding temp directory is on an SSD.  Open the stream directly in VLC has no issues, so it doesn't appear to be the stream itself.

I've attached transcode log files for a stream that opened choppy and once i backed out and started it again was fine.  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Emby-Choppy.txt

Edited by MasterBlaster83

I don't see how your "smooth" log produced smooth playback (oh, now looking at the sizes, I expect they are the same log).

In any case, it appears the machine is not powerful enough to transcode for smooth playback.  Either that or the stream is actually coming in too slow.

MasterBlaster83

Yeah that's my fault, took the wrong long file... the "smooth" playback log file is attached now (Emby-Smooth2.txt).

Machine is powerful enough to handle the transcoding, I normally run several streams no problem from this machine.  Internet is not an issue and as I said if I open the stream directly in VLC there are no issues.

Sorry for the confusion on the log file.

Emby-Smooth2.txt

Edited by chadewilliams

There are only two possibilities it seems - either the machine was too overloaded at the time it is choppy or the network/IPTV provider is.

The choppy one is transcoding at less than real time and the smooth one is transcoding at more than real time.