Emby+Kodi: Files not deleting since 4.0

Mechanical Whispers
Go to solution Solved by Mechanical Whispers,

Mechanical Whispers

After the big update, I've noticed that when I delete a movie or TV show in Kodi, it is removed from the Kodi library. But Emby doesn't delete it from my hard drive, as it did before the 4.0 update. So the next time Kodi refreshes the library from the Emby database, the files show up again in Kodi. Is this a known issue? I was using the temporary beta for Emby while the initial issues were resolved after the update. But I have since auto-updated to the stable Emby version, if that helps.

And just to confirm, I have only one user in the Emby Dashboard, and all access is turned on, including allow deletion of files.

They way I used to delete something I watched, was in Kodi to use the Context Menu, and choose Manage/Delete from Library. Since the update, this doesn't delete it from Emby, though. If I use the Context Menu and choose Emby Options, Delete From Emby, this DOES delete the file from the hard drive, BUT it does not delete it from my Kodi library. I just want to have it like it was before, when I could use one menu option to BOTH delete it from the Kodi library and delete it from the hard drive at the same time. Can someone confirm if this functionality changed since the Emby 4 update? Or if it's a known issue now?

I am using the latest stable Emby 4.01, EmbyCon 1.84, and Kodi Companion 2.0.9

Mechanical Whispers

Thank you.

I just noticed that if I use the Kodi context menu, choose "Emby Options"/"Delete From Emby", as I said it deletes the file from the hard drive, however I have to wait about a minute before Kodi refreshes the library to show the deletion. But it does actually (eventually) update in Kodi.

Using the context menu option "Manage", and "Remove from Library" still doesn't delete the file from the hard drive, as it used to.

I've never saved out a log, but I will look into how to do that.

I guess I can just start using the Emby Options in the context menu, but the fact that it doesn't remove the listing from my Kodi library immediately is a bit offputting.

Edited by Mechanical Whispers

sualfred

@

(edit: Just in case it's EmbyCon. Error report wasn't clear)

Edited by sualfred

Angelblue05

The context menu > remove from library is not the way to remove content. This will only remove the entry from Kodi. Emby for Kodi will recreate the entry if it does exists.

It always has been emby options > delete from emby library. And the delay is normal. The add-on deletes content on the callback from the server.

Delete would cause a lot of issues if content was immediately deleted Kodi side and then Emby said the operation failed, then what? The entry is deleted and no way to recreate it without triggering an update event.

The way it is now is how it’s always been.

Edited by Angelblue05

Mechanical Whispers

Okay, so I will now change the way I delete movies and shows I've watched. But FYI, before the update, you could choose "Manage/Remove From Library", and it would do both... remove it from the hard drive/Emby database, and remove it from the Kodi Library. And it was immediate.

sualfred

Is it possible that you have used the native playback method before? Because with this one Kodi knows the direct paths and will delete them. The Emby server file watchdog service will recognize the removal and removes it from the server library too.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

Mechanical Whispers

That could be possible. I had to refresh the Kodi library after the Emby update, and it had been so long that I couldn't remember which playback method I chose. Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I'll reset my library again and choose that and see what happens.

• Like 1

• Solution
Mechanical Whispers

That's absolutely what it was. I did a re-sync and chose Direct Paths, and all is how it was before. Thank you so much! And sorry I made the mistake of thinking it had something to do with the update.

• Like 1