Cannot Connect Via APP Nor Remotely

jeramiah
Go to solution Solved by jeramiah,

jeramiah

I am able to access Emby from my Roku on the home network as well as accessing it via the local IP address.  It's when I go to access via the app (both in manual mode and 'emby connect') it will not work.

I have literally exhausted my efforts here guys so literally any guidance that can help steer me into another direction or a fresh set of eyes would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on Windows 10 Home.

I deleted everything and did a fresh install of the Emby Server.  I have disabled both Windows Defender Firewall and BitDefender Firewall.  My ISP claims they are not blocking the port 8096.

I've followed the instructions on https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity which include (even though disabled) setting a specific rule for the Windows Defender Firewall.

I verify it's pulling in the correct IP addresses:

5c50ee1f23cd4_settings.png

Verified my internal settings are okay

5c50edf230df1_internal.png

And the external settings:

5c50ee09ba9db_external.png

I go to my Asus router and go to port forwarding:

5c50ee3827c29_ports.png

When I go to https://canyouseeme.org/ the connection just times out. (IP address removed)

Error: I could not see your service on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port (8096)
Reason: Connection timed out

The app just times out too, I've tried even connecting with "Emby Connect" everything just times out.  Any thoughts ideas?

Edited by jeramiah

Fratopolis

Try setting your router admin https port to 8096 and make it available to view temporarily from under the administration tab on the left, then try canyouseeme again. Obviously you'll need to remove the port forward first as well.

Edited by Fratopolis

• Solution
jeramiah

I totally appreciate you reaching out.  I literally tried everything that Emby recommends including a TON of other things for like two days and finally gave up and said "I need a fresh set of eyes on this thing" which is what you provided. 

I went to access the router's IP so I can start doing what you suggested, but for some reason, as it had NEVER done before, it just hung to the point I had to restart it. I'll be damned if restarting the router didn't fix the problem.  Emby instantly connected from both inside and outside my home, and the app instantly connected.  If it hadn't been for your suggestion which led me to restart the router I don't know what I would have done. I never occurred to me to power cycle the router because everything was working fine, but what I can gather is that, while my port forwarding took, it unfortunately appeared to fail gracefully and didn't totally "stick" if that makes sense (even though it doesn't to me) but it's the only explanation.

THANK YOU!  I guess the the old "just restart the damn system" still works!   PS, I expected this from you Windows... but not you Asus. ;-)

• Like 1

Fratopolis

Lol. Turn on firewall logging in the router. For future reference the ASUS router will let you know what connections come in and what's accepted or denied from the log page.

I'm a creature of habit from ddwrt firmware days so I also set scheduled reboots of my router. Might be food for thought.

Edited by Fratopolis
  • Like 1

jeramiah

@Fratopolis I've never had that issue but I appreciate your suggestion (rebooting router) and it's definitely something I'm going to do from time to time.  Thanks so much again.